Howto repair your windows boot issues through recovery console, the expert way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xero

Most people will run into boot problems eventually when they install wrong drivers, get caught by destructive spyware (like the driver evan64.sys) or because of other reasons (faulty services).

I haven't seen a post related to advanced recovery console troubleshooting so this is why i am posting this thread.
And ofcourse i want to win the 7800 GT video card :) You will see some more posts which will help you recovering/tuning your system soon.

First you must know how to implement the recovery console when harm has not been done yet. I have read this somewhere else on the forum but i will repeat it so that you dont have to look it up in another thread.

- go into windows and insert the windows 2000/Xp CD/MSDN DVD which contains windows 2000/Xp
- open a command console (dos window) "through start->run->cmd.exe<enter>"
- in the new command window go to the drive letter of your cdrom i.e. "i:<enter>"
- go to the windows 2000/XP I386 directory through "cd directory\i386<enter>
- type winnt32 /cmdcons

IT IS ALWAYS A GOOD THING TO INSTALL THIS RECOVERY CONSOLE BEFORE HARM HAS BEEN DONE!!!

If harm already has been done, bootup from the windows cd and select repair windows 2000/XP. Next you select manual repair. Finally you select "repair using recovery console".

The recovery console will be started and you will be promped for the input of the windows which you want to repair. Select the correct windows and following this you provide your LOCAL system administrator password which you used during
install.

When recovery console is started the command prompt will reside in your windows directory i.e. C:\windows

A help of the recovery console window can be shown with the "help<enter>" command.

As you can see the provided commands are limited. Some of the commands are interesting though for repair of your windows installation.

If you haven't been able to start windows because of the following message

"NTLDR could not be found." Your fix might be just the command "fixboot<enter>". Try it and afterwards you reboot the pc
by using the command "exit<enter>". When the pc boots again your problem might be solved.

"Blue screen during bootup or hang during bootup". This is a more sophisticated issue but probably related to drivers and/or faulty services. With the command listsvc you can enumerate all the drivers and services which are loaded on startup. Write down all the drivers and services which have state "service system" or state "service boot".

"INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" Probably your SCSI drivers and/or IDE drivers are faulty. Use the fast repair option in windows 2000 setup by booting from the windows cd. Press F6 on boot of the cd to specify your scsi drivers.

Write them down exactly with the name you see on the screen, you will need the exact service names later on.

Now compare them to the following lists, eliminate the ones you dont see on the list by using the command

"disable "service name"<enter>" NOTE THAT THE QUOTES AROUND THE SERVICE NAME ARE ONLY NEEDED WHEN THERE ARE SPACES
IN THE SERVICE NAME.

Here comes the list of default services (ms known) for windows NT based computers (like XP and 2000):
REMEMBER: Disable anything which you cant find in this list.

Beep
KSecDD
Null
Fastfat
Fs_Rec
EventLog
Modem
Parallel
Scsiprnt
Serial
Cdfs
Npfs
Ntfs
Cdaudio
Diskperf
Simbad
Kbdclass
i8042prt
EE16
NDIS
NetBIOS
NetDDE
Mup
Rdr
Srv
LanmanWorkstation
Parport
PCIDump
PlugPlay
Mouclass
Busmouse
Inport
Sermouse
NetBT
Tcpip
Abiosdsk
Floppy
Sfloppy
NetLogon
Cdrom
Disk
Scsiscan
Aha154x
Aha174x
aic78xx
Always
ami0nt
amsint
Arrow
atapi
BusLogic
Cpqarray
dac960nt
dce376nt
DptScsi
dtc329x
Fd16_700
Fd7000ex
Fd8xx
mitsumi
mkecr5xx
Ncr53c9x
Ncrc700
Ncrc710
ncrc810
Oliscsi
Ql10wnt
slcd32
Sparrow
Spock
T128
T13B
tmv1
Ultra124
Ultra14f
Ultra24f
Wd33c93
Spooler
Pcmcia
Afd
DHCP
Ati
Cirrus
Dell_DGX
Et400
Jazzg30
Jazzg364
Jzvxl484
mga
mga_mil
ncr77c22
psidisp
qv
s3
tga
v7vram
VgaSave
wd90c24a
wdvga
weitekp9
Xga
VgaStart
VgaSave

Some interesting articles concerning this type of repairs can be found at the microsoft information sites;

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654 (for XP)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/proddocs/srvgs/sgsappa.mspx (All)

Never change a winning team! When it isnt broke, dont fix it.

Running IBM Xseries 225 SMP 3.06 GHz 4GB Chipkill (tm) IBM memory. Raid 5 x 73GB hotswaps scsi. 2x 200GB IDE.
Plextor DVDRW Philips DVDRW
Radeon 9800XT overclocked to 460MHz
Windows 2003 Enterprise with VMWARE (My Mediacenter). Media center rules.
Favorite game: Online Microsoft Halo (=73=Nucleus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back