HP announces the Elite x2 1012 G2 2-in-1, a seemingly perfect stand-in for the MIA Surface...

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft is seemingly uninterested in launching a Surface Pro 5 anytime soon, thus leaving the door open for hardware makers like HP to capitalize on an obvious void in the market. The company’s new Elite x2 1012 G2, announced on Wednesday, looks to be the perfect example of a Surface Pro 5 stand-in.

HP’s latest 2-in-1 features a 12.3-inch LED display coated in Corning Gorilla Glass 4 that packs a WQXGA+ resolution of 2,736 x 1,824 pixels and can be configured with up to an Intel Core i7-7600U processor, Intel HD 620 graphics, 16GB of RAM and up to 1TB of solid-state drive storage (512GB M.2 SATA and 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe).

Other noteworthy features and specifications include dual-band 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2, an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera, a 5-megapixel video camera up front and a full complement of sensors. In terms of I/O ports, the machine features a USB 3.1 Type-C port, a standard USB 3.0 port, a microSD card slot, a SIM card slot for wireless data and a combination headphone / microphone jack.

A 47WHr battery promises up to 10 hours of battery life on a single charge. A recharge of 50 percent can reportedly be reached in just one hour thanks to HP’s Fast Charge technology.

Look for the HP Elite x2 1012 G2 to arrive sometime in July with pricing starting at $1,099 for the base model and scaling up accordingly.

Permalink to story.

The thing is, there really wasn't an "obvious void" in the market.... first of all, the Surface Pro 4 uses the i7 (or i5) 6th gen CPU... and the "upgrade" to Kaby Lake isn't really that great...And the difference between Bluetooth 4 and 4.2 will not be noticed by 99% of the users....

The other specs are pretty much the same (or the Surface's are better - I like the mini-display port on the Surface better than a USB C port, but I guess that's really up to the the individual user).

Also, the tablet market has been steadily falling over the last little while... MS would be foolish to pump another one out quickly - I'd wait until 8th Gen CPUs... or maybe even 9th....

If you MUST have an upgrade, the Surface Book (which IS rumoured to be refreshed soon) would be the logical place to look.

Last edited:
The thing is, there really wasn't an "obvious void" in the market.... first of all, the Surface Pro 4 uses the i7 (or i5) 6th gen CPU... and the "upgrade" to Kaby Lake isn't really that great...And the difference between Bluetooth 4 and 4.2 will not be noticed by 99% of the users....
The improvements on energy efficiency if they mean more hours of working time would be a great reason to update the line, remember, this is not aimed at home users for the most part.

The other specs are pretty much the same (or the Surface's are better - I like the mini-display port on the Surface better than a USB C port, but I guess that's really up to the the individual user).
Yeah it's a matter of taste, although a USB C port means more HUB options. Also, USB C is the future.

Also, the tablet market has been steadily falling over the last little while... MS would be foolish to pump another one out quickly - I'd wait until 8th Gen CPUs... or maybe even 9th....
Everybody wanted a new tablet, they got new tablets and don't see the need to update. Don't mix this with a tablet, this is not a tablet, this is a full fledged computer, and oh my it's awesome (Yeah I have on that was given to me at work).

The improvements on energy efficiency if they mean more hours of working time would be a great reason to update the line, remember, this is not aimed at home users for the most part.

Kaby Lake isn't much more efficient than Skylake... HP is claiming just about the same battery life as a Surface Pro...

Yeah it's a matter of taste, although a USB C port means more HUB options. Also, USB C is the future.

Very true - but once you are thinking of docks and hubs, you might as well go Surface Book....

Everybody wanted a new tablet, they got new tablets and don't see the need to update. Don't mix this with a tablet, this is not a tablet, this is a full fledged computer, and oh my it's awesome (Yeah I have on that was given to me at work).

I agree - but that's what they're still being classified as.... The difference between high-end tablets like the Surface Pro and detachable laptops like the Surface Book are quite blurred... I suspect that soon there won't really be a distinction at all...

Very true - but once you are thinking of docks and hubs, you might as well go Surface Book....
Ok on this one I have to disagree, there is nothing more comfortable than carrying my lightweight surface pro 4 and getting to work and plugging it in the dock and working on a big screen with a full fledged keyboard, then taking it out and if needed do light work on wherever and if needed something heavier just plugging it into the dock and working on a big screen at home. It's extremely different.

Ok on this one I have to disagree, there is nothing more comfortable than carrying my lightweight surface pro 4 and getting to work and plugging it in the dock and working on a big screen with a full fledged keyboard, then taking it out and if needed do light work on wherever and if needed something heavier just plugging it into the dock and working on a big screen at home. It's extremely different.
True.... I'm hoping that the refresh of the Surface Book allows for you to dock the "tablet" part into not just the "book", but also a docking station.... so you get the best of both worlds...

Back