HP Compaq 6000 pro sff - Random boot looping

Jskrilla

I am a desktop support tech for a large school district which purchased at least 1000 of these units. Starting off, I changed the bios setting for the hard disk to "ide" and installed XP pro and all other programs without issue.
I did not install the sata ahci drivers or switch the bios setting back. I figured that they might as well stay on ide permanently. I also verified that the ram (2x1gb sticks) were in the correct slots (1 and 3) and all cables were firmly attached.
I was able to sysprep, create and deploy the images without issue. But for some reason, these pc's will boot loop when powered on. Out of a lab of 25 pcs, 1-2 will boot loop within 1 day after imaging. If you leave the pcs on, it seems that they have no issues. If you power down at night and boot in the morning, several will boot loop.
I tried using the "disable automatic restart " in the xp boot menu but immediately after displaying the "xp"loading bar screen, the system will restart.
I am able to enter the pc using safe mode or safe mode with networking. Once in safe mode, nothing I do seems to rectify the situation. I have installed the sata ahci drivers and switched the bios setting back to ahci. The system still boot loops and I must use safe mode. I also updated the bios and chipset drivers but that does nothing. Sometimes the affected pc will correct itself after a few days but it usually does not. I have found that rerunning the xp setup using the repair option will "bring it back" but it may boot loop in the future.

These are basically brand new machines and they always pass hard drive and memory diagnostics without issue.

There are many minidump files (c:windows\minidumps) but I'm not sure what the actual issue is. They point to several driver files: ntoskrnl.exe, ntkrnlpa.exe, and hal.dll. Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• Mini013111-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 3
  • Mini011311-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini011211-01.dmp
  • Mini011011-01.dmp
  • Mini122610-01.dmp
Every file is the same error code 0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

All files point to the same driver fslx.sys as the cause of your issues. This a FSL System Driver from Symantec Corp.

If you do a search there is quite a bit on the net how this driver causes looping.

Thanks Route44 for your reply!

I will investigate this driver and its purpose on this machine. We use the same software for all our pcs so something mustve changed from the hp 5800 series to the 6000 series that doesn't agree with that driver.
Thanks again...now I've got to get to work!

Its funny...symantec always seems to find a new way to sabotage me...lol.

Issue Resolved!

I followed Route44's advice and found a lot of info on this fslx.sys driver causing startup issues. I ran autoruns (sysinternals) and disabled startup for the fslx.sys driver. After rebooting, Windows loaded normally and I was able to sign in. Thank you Route44!
The only Symantec product installed on our systems is a Symantec streaming agent, which users use for streamed installations and operation. I reenabled the driver and then renamed it so it wouldn't be accessed. I then tested login with a user and the software still works normally. I have some more testing to do but I think we may be able to eliminate the driver without any drawbacks.

Thanks again Route44 for all your assistance!

Back