HP compaq sr1303wm pata/sata limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there.
I wanted to add an extra hdd to boost memory on my Compaq sr1303wm pc and was advised to use a sata disc. That's when my troubles started. I bought a Samsung hd321kj. By chance, when looking for sata drivers I found that there were endless compatibility problems recorded with sata discs and the OEM mobo (A7V8X-LA) that is in the sr1303wm. I returned the disc the next day (unused) for a refund.

I have reverted to looking for a pata hdd but am worried what size disc I can install without address/capping problems. Will the sr1303wm accommodate a wd320gb eide hdd without hassle? I am not too fussed about speed but need good reliable storage. The compaq has xp at sp2 level.

If someone has a solution to the sata problem I'm willing to have a crack at it with a small inexpensive drive but the omens don't look good - meanwhile any info on pata limitations/compatibility would be welcomed. The alternative woould be to go for a usb external but the desk starts getting crowded then.

Thanks for that. Western Dig'l give some dire warnings about data overwrite, if either OS or hardware not up to the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back