HP notebook will not boot past HP screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickit

I have an HP Pavilion dv5000 CTO Notebook. It had been working pretty good for a while and all of a sudden, I picked up a virus. I got rid of the virus but after a few reboots, I notice I could not evern get to the Windows XP splash screen without it freezing. I've tried hitting F8 to login to Safe mode. I have tried putting in my recovery CD. Nothing works. It freezes and I am forced to do a hard shut down and start all over again. I am taking any and all suggestions (that make sense) at this point. Thanks in advance

Hi

laptops are notoriously hard to pinpoint a fault with, from what you say it sounds like a HDD issue,

download the makers test tool and run checks on the drive, it may be coincidental that the virus hit at the same time the drive was on its way out.

Yes the laptop will look for the HDD before booting from a cd/dvd and will freeze if it cant find it...

I took the hard drive out and tried to access the bios and it still freezes. That sounds like an issue in the bios. Would you agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back