HP now accepting pre-orders for game-changing Jet Fusion 3D printer

Shawn Knight

Staff member

HP first unveiled its 3D printing ambitions in October of 2014. Rather than tackle the somewhat crowded consumer market, the Jet Fusion 3D printer is an industrial-grade machine that aims to revolutionize how both small manufacturing businesses create products.

What makes HP’s new printer different from others is the fact that it can print in multiple colors and eventually, multiple materials, at the same time. As an example, Re/code envisions printing an entire electric toothbrush – the handle, the bristles, the internal motor and all of the necessary wiring – all in a single print job.

Terry Wohlers, president and lead analyst with market research firm Wohlers Associates, said he believes HP will disrupt the industry with a new lever of speed, quality and cost.

Speaking of, HP claims its new printer is up to 10 times faster than existing machines and could cut the cost of manufacturing components in half for some businesses. In fact, the printer can print roughly half of the parts it’s comprised of. HP’s head of 3D printing, Stephen Nigro, said they created a printer that prints itself.

The company is currently testing the ability to print integrated circuits and even embed circuits within printed parts. Printing metal is also in the works although that’ll come at a later date with Nigro describing it today as a research project.

HP unveiled two models of the Jet Fusion 3D Printer, the 3200 series and 4200 series, the latter of which is about 25 percent faster. It’s currently accepting pre-orders with pricing starting at $130,000.

Permalink to story.

Give it another 10 years, it will be 10 times faster again, for under 1000 bucks, unless 1000 bucks becomes enough for a bus token in 10 years, which is also a possibility. No wait, there won't be any bus tokens no more, damn!

Give it 20 years, 3D printers will become more like instant molecular materializers. That's like going from matrix printers to full-color laser printers, which we have done, by the way, in case somebody is too young or missed it, just so, matrix printers got nothing to do with the Matrix movie.

I think we've all loved this back then:

Last edited:
Give it another 10 years, it will be 10 times faster again, for under 1000 bucks, unless 1000 bucks becomes enough for a bus token in 10 years, which is also a possibility. No wait, there won't be any bus tokens no more, damn!

Give it 20 years, 3D printers will become more like instant molecular materializers. That's like going from matrix printers to full-color laser printers, which we have done, by the way, in case somebody is too young or missed it, just so, matrix printers got nothing to do with the Matrix movie.

The buses will be printed, just like the robots riding them. Only robots will need buses because only robots will have jobs.

I was expecting a name like "ExtruderJet" or the like...but Jet Fusion is close enough. Also, any product that's made of printed metal is a product you don't want to rely on for anything important.

I'm sure for prototyping, these would be a LOT less expensive than carving it on a CNC machine from aluminum, with a lot less waste, then tooling up for production.
Depending on the strength of the nylon, it could be used in some applications, but even with the fusing, I'm curious of the tensile strength of such products.

The printer can print roughly half of the components it's comprised of. So in a few years time, we'll have printers printing printers.

1438989476976.jpg

Given it is HP the ink/material cartridges will cost 10x the printer itself. Honestly, sometimes I feel like it will be cheaper for me to buy the printer that comes with introductory cartridges then go out and buy new cartridges.

The buses will be printed, just like the robots riding them. Only robots will need buses because only robots will have jobs.

I was expecting a name like "ExtruderJet" or the like...but Jet Fusion is close enough. Also, any product that's made of printed metal is a product you don't want to rely on for anything important.

Awwww come on guys .... buses are on the way out ..... haven't you been keeping up with the Jetson's lately? It has been in rerun for a looooooong time!

Given it is HP the ink/material cartridges will cost 10x the printer itself. Honestly, sometimes I feel like it will be cheaper for me to buy the printer that comes with introductory cartridges then go out and buy new cartridges.

I've got a friend who's been doing that for years. Buys a 40 buck computer, runs out of ink, buys another one.
Says goes through a printer about once a year. Takes the empty one out on the back of his property and uses it for target practice.

"...that aims to revolutionize how both small manufacturing businesses create products."
So there are only 2 small manufacturing businesses in the world? That's a pretty small market :p

Some people do that, they buy the printer and when the ink runs out they buy a new printer and they sell the old printer on eBay to make some money back. It's MUCH cheaper than buying a $120 set of ink for a $40 printer.

==========
They make wood truss with chipped wood and adhesive now and it's hold new house so I would not be too quick about that.

Back