HP refreshes Spectre x360 and Pavilion x2 notebooks with larger screens, new internals

Shawn Knight

Staff member

HP brought a bevy of new and refreshed consumer PCs to Las Vegas for CES including larger-screened versions of the popular Spectre x360 and Pavilion x2 notebooks.

HP's Spectre x360 was well-received in 2015 although its 13.3-inch display wasn't quite large enough to please everyone. This year, HP is introducing a new version of the x360 with the option for a larger 15.6-inch, 4K (3,840 x 2,160) touch display. It can be configured with 6th generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors, Intel Iris graphics, up to 16GB of RAM and up to a 512GB solid state drive.

Those who do prefer a smaller screen are also getting something new, the option for a 13.3-inch OLED panel. HP says the OLED option reduces device weight by 50 grams while providing even higher color accuracy and a broader range of shades that offers improved contrast.

All Spectre x360 systems feature audio by Bang & Olufsen and an all-CNC aluminum chassis.

The new Pavilion x2, meanwhile, features a larger 12.1-inch diagonal display (1,920 x 1,280), up from 10.1 inches in the previous model. Buyers can configure the 2-in-1 with their choice of an Intel Atom with 64GB of eMMC memory or a sixth generation Intel Core M processor with up to a 256GB SSD.

The system also utilizes a latchless magnetic connector to attach or remove the full-size keyboard.

The 15.6-inch Spectre x360 goes on sale February 14 starting at $1,149 while the smaller 13.3-inch variant will be available sometime this spring. The new 12.1-inch Pavilion x2 hits stores on February 7 with prices starting at $499.99.

Permalink to story.

I'm surprised HP is still in business. Everything they've touched in recent memory has turned to 'stuffed up'. Compaq and Palm immediately spring to mind.

I'm surprised HP is still in business. Everything they've touched in recent memory has turned to 'stuffed up'. Compaq and Palm immediately spring to mind.

We push out HP Business Desktops and Workstations (for users working with Autodesk products) to all of our clients at work and they are pretty outstanding. I can't say much about their more consumer based products, but most of the tablets or smaller laptops such as these that I have used have worked great.

HP, Lenovo and Apple are the only companies making money at this time. Lenovo and HP are the world leaders in computers, meaning they sell a lot. Doesn't make them the best but both companies sell a lot. HP sells very well in the US, outsells most other competitors.

HP bought Compaq and Palm years ago, they were dead companies that HP bought for patent rights. Not sure what bringing them up have to do with anything. HP is and has been relevant for years and is still. They aren't going anywhere. Just look into any Best Buy, Walmart or retailer HP is sitting right there and outselling most others.

Back