HP Slate vs iPad document leaks, reveals more specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Engadget has scored an internal HP document that reveals and otherwise confirms most of the Slate's specifications. Presumably intended for employee eyes only, the slide shows a side-by-side comparison of the Slate and iPad, complete with major pros and cons highlighted.

For $550 ($50 more than the cheapest iPad), the Slate offers an 8.9-inch 1024x600 capacitive multitouch display, a 1.6GHz Intel Atom Z530 processor and UMA graphics with an accelerator for 1080p media playback, 1GB of DDR2 RAM, and 32GB of flash storage (there's also a $600 model with 64GB of storage).

Additional features include an SD/SDHC/SDXC card reader (up to 128GB), a USB 2.0 port, a dock connector (power, audio in/out, HDMI out, USB), a SIM card tray, front and back-mounted cameras, up to five hours of life with a two-cell battery, and it runs Windows 7 Home Premium with an HP touch-optimized UI.

The company feels that the Slate has an advantage when it comes to processing power, as well as its pen/digitizer support, card reader, USB port, Dock support, conventional SIM card tray, and its cameras. Meanwhile, HP is threatened by the iPad's 1024x768 display resolution, its 802.11a/b/g/n support, its 10-hour battery life, and its lower starting price.

Permalink to story.

But the cheapest one is a 16GB, the HP has 32GB so it is $50 less than the 32GB Ipad Apple is selling.

Also if HP would have also released a 16GB I think it would have been $50 less than the Ipad

A brand new tablet with a wireless b/g in? WHY???????

I will not buy anything that does not have wireless n because a single "g" client on my 2.4GHz "n" network will degrade the performance of all clients to "g" speeds. Upgrading to a mixed 2.4/5GHz network is too much for what I need it.

Guest - Wireless 'N' should be demanded for Slate. I can't believe that HP would let that one slide. That alone is the one major hesitation point. But perhaps an Mvix Nubbin can make up for that downfall? http://www.mvixusa.com/product/nubbin

So Slate wins at:
Web Browsing (with Adobe Flash and Air support)
Price at 32 GB
CPU
GPU / Graphics
Connectivity
Camera
...and I'd argue the OS is superior as well.

Loses in:
Battery life
WiFi support
Display size

If a Nubbin can work in Slate and fix the 802.11n issue, I don't see many reasons to favor the iPad.

IMO: HP Slate, plus HDTV Media Dock FTW!
http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2010/04/05/oh-snap-hp-slate-telling-the-world-its-a-contender/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back