Huawei to debut its 5G-capable folding phone at MWC

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: We already knew that Huawei is one of several companies working on a folding phone, and it won’t be long before we see it. The Chinese tech giant has confirmed that its 5G-capable device will debut at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona next month.

With Huawei’s MWC keynote set for Sunday, February 24th, there are just over three weeks until it officially shows off the phone. The company tweeted that the event will see the launch of "the world's first 5G foldable device."

The phone will use the new Balong 5000 5G modem, which is expected to be integrated into its next-gen Kirin 990 SoC—the successor to the current 7nm Kirin 980. Forbes reports that the modem also supports 2G, 3G, and 4G, while offering wireless speeds 10 times faster than 4G and twice as fast as Qualcomm's X50 5G modem.

There are still no official images of what the phone will look like, but Dutch site LetsGoDigital created some 3D renders based on leaks and rumors. If accurate, the device has a single fold, unlike Xiaomi’s double-folding device that it showed off recently. The publication also notes that Huawei registered the names Mate Flex, Mate Flexi, Mate Fold and Mate F, so the folding handset could take one of those monikers.

Samsung is set to unveil its foldable phone, along with the Galaxy S10, on February 20, beating Huawei to the punch. We also know that Oppo, Motorola, and LG are working on folding devices, meaning 2019 could be the year of the bendable handset.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, folding phones will eventually replace all or most regular smart phones but not until the price point drops a bit more. Also, somebody is going to be bright enough to have one fold inward to protect the screen when not in use ...... I hope!

Yeah, folding phones will eventually replace all or most regular smart phones but not until the price point drops a bit more. Also, somebody is going to be bright enough to have one fold inward to protect the screen when not in use ...... I hope!
The drop tests are sure going to be interesting. I wouldn't even want to put the phone on a desk if the screens are facing out. Plus there's the challenge of designing cases. Why did we need foldable phones again?
And why stop at 1 fold. Let's have a full on concertina folding device that opens out into a 6 x 20 inch screen so we can get rid of tablets :)

The inward folding screen(s) would most likely not be materialized since the screen tighter bending yield will not be sufficiently sustainable. Even Samsung upcoming foldable phone has outside screens.

Those rendered images are Impossible. Folding the phone in the manner displayed would pull the screen away from the bezels.

I guess we'll see if foldable phones are here to the stay in the next 2-3 years.
This kind of reminds me of the 3D TV crazy half a decade ago or something.

First, it was megapixels, then it was bezel-less, then it was slim & stylish, then it was the
notch, now it is a folding screen. The phone manufacturers rush to attempt to keep the
sales engine going, regardless of how well it works, or is needed is amazing. And, why not?
They keep pushing crap, and the public keeps buying it. BUT, the price ceiling of $1,000.00
or more has them teetering on the edge.

First, it was megapixels, then it was bezel-less, then it was slim & stylish, then it was the
notch, now it is a folding screen. The phone manufacturers rush to attempt to keep the
sales engine going, regardless of how well it works, or is needed is amazing. And, why not?
They keep pushing crap, and the public keeps buying it. BUT, the price ceiling of $1,000.00
or more has them teetering on the edge.

I think this is more a sign of desperation due to stagnating smartphone sales.

Xiaomi set a very high standard for a foldable phone. They actually thought out the best use and design for using foldable feature where it makes the best use of the size and the way it folds.
This tech is exciting, but until I see something better thought of than Xiaomi, I d stay away from Samsung and such.

Back