Huawei's MediaPad X2 is one of the largest smartphones / slimmest tablets yet

Shawn Knight

Staff member

huawei mediapad x2 mwc tablet smartphone mediapad handset phablet phone mwc 2015 huawei mediapad x2

The Huawei MediaPad X2 is a phablet in the truest sense of the term. Anything with a screen over 5.2 inches or so is generally classified as a tablet but Huawei’s latest monster measures in at a mind-blowing seven inches. A follow-up to the original MediaPad, it’s actually classified as a tablet by Huawei but the fact that it has an earpiece and makes phone calls still means it’s a smartphone in my book.

Measuring 7.28mm thick, the MediaPad X2’s 1080p IPS display (323 PPI) is powered by a 64-bit Kirin 930 octa-core processor (2GHz x 4 + 1.5GHz x 4) and Mali-T628+ i3 graphics. There’s up to 3GB of RAM on tap and up to 32GB of internal storage (expandable via microSD card slot) in addition to a 13-megapixel BSI rear-facing camera and a 5-megapixel front-facing camera for selfies and video calls.

huawei mediapad x2 mwc tablet smartphone mediapad handset phablet phone mwc 2015 huawei mediapad x2

Other features include dual 4G SIM slots, dual 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity.

With such a massive footprint, you’d expect room for a large battery which is exactly what you get in the 5,000mAh lithium polymer unit. Huawei claims it’ll provide 24 hours of standby time, a recharge time of 3.5 hours and a reverse charging feature that effectively turns the X2 into a portable battery charger for other devices.

If you’re looking for a huge smartphone that’s also a very slim tablet, the Huawei MediaPad X2 could be for you. It will ship with Android 5.0 Lollipop and the company’s Emotion UI 3.0 overlay.

No word yet on pricing and availability.

Permalink to story.

24 hours of standby time

I think this is a type-o. My 1520 has 30 days of stand by time and I frequently go 4-5 days without charging it. No way that thing has 24 hours of standby time on a 5000mah battery

How the hell can you hold that huge thing to your ear and speak using just one hand unless your hands are the size of a bunch of bananas?

Look, I love my Note 3 it is big but I have big hands and it looks natural in my hands but this is ridiculous. 7 inches is not a phone it is a tablet, only some giant NBA players could use this thing without looking weird.

Its about time we get a large phone... been waiting for one for years. I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

I have the Mate2, @ 6.1" and love it. With a 4,000mAh battery, 3-4 days is easy.
I carry mine in a belt clip and use BT 100%, so if this thing is released, AND has the frequencies
for the USA, AND isn't $1,000 bucks, I'm in! I haven't had a smartphone in the last 5 years that
was less than 5"... Dell Streak5, Note1, Mate2

I have the Mate2, @ 6.1" and love it. With a 4,000mAh battery, 3-4 days is easy.
I carry mine in a belt clip and use BT 100%, so if this thing is released, AND has the frequencies
for the USA, AND isn't $1,000 bucks, I'm in! I haven't had a smartphone in the last 5 years that
was less than 5"... Dell Streak5, Note1, Mate2

Drat....doesn't have LTE bands 2,4,5,17

Back