Humble Indie Bundle 3 kicks off with Cogs, VVVVVV and more

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

The third Humble Indie Bundle is officially underway (fourth if you count the Frozenbyte-specific event), allowing you to buy a pack of casual games for dramatically less than their usual retail price while simultaneously donating a few bucks to charities. For the unfamiliar, the Humble Indie Bundle lets you purchase five indie games for any amount you deem fair -- be that a buck or a grand -- and you can divide that sum between the developers, the event organizers, the EFF and Child's Play in any denomination you want.

This time around, the bundle includes Cogs, VVVVVV, And Yet It Moves, Crayon Physics Deluxe, and Hammerfight -- a healthy mixture of puzzlers and platformers (barring Hammerfight, which is more action-oriented). The first two are particularly popular among gaming communities as they've been featured in many Steam sales. Speaking of which, it's worth noting that all of the games can be redeemed on Valve's digital distribution platform as well as Desura if you'd like to add them to your existing digital library.

We should also note that all of the titles are compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux, and they're DRM-free so you can play them across all your systems with no hassles. As with previous Humble events, Minecraft creator Notch has secured the top donation spot by sending $2,000. So far, the event has pulled in more than $124,000 and the average purchase amount is $4.19 ($3.43 from Windows users, $5.49 from Mac and $10.37 via Linux). The event ends in just over two weeks, so you have plenty of time to participate.

Permalink to story.

I've been surfing the discount bins of various sites to see what I want to buy with the $4.57 left on my gift card. This was a good purchase.

I always drop $20 on these whether I have some of the games are not to support the Indie developers and charities.

Heh, it's quite interesting to see the average amount donated by users of each OS. Go Linux! :D

Crayon physics is fun, but VVVVVV is what really shines. The game is simply amazing, so much that this face is all that I can do to describe it:

:3

That smiley is used to represent Peter Griffin from Family Guy, but is also used at a pinch for Dr. Zoidberg.

As for the humble bundles, for each one I have less enthusiasm. I never play the games anyway.

Regarding VVVVVV, just played a few minutes of it and though it looks like a fun game, I must say that the nostalgia part is really ruining it. The music grated so badly I turned it off after less than a minute and the graphics are bad even for the C64 era. I don't think that the graphics hurt the game much but the music does for me and I find the menu annoying, too.

(I owned home computers of that era, VIC20 and C128, and played games with graphics and sound which for the time were pretty good. Doesn't mean they're any good by today's standards. And the music probably would have annoyed me then, too.)

I bought it with the hopes of being able to divvy up the titles across my kids' steam accounts. I'd like to put Crayon Physics on my 4 year-old's Steam account and Cogs on my 6 year-old's. We'll see if I can work that out tonight.

Back