I can't access hotmail.com or msn.com but can visit all other sites

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't call it a problem.. More like a blessing :p

What are the symptoms? A giant red window pops up saying "You cannot go there!"?

The error msg. I get says:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Same problem

I am having a similar problem. Also, I have a friend who is having the exact same problem. I haven't been able to load my homepage since last week, but every other page works just fine. He also hasn't been able to load his homepage (which happens to be MSN) since last week. The only common cause I can find is that we both updated Windows XP Pro at the same time, as well as Norton AntiVirus Pro. I even tried changing my homepage and restarting, but it didn't work for either of us.

What happens if you do an nslookup on www.hotmail.com or www.msn.com? Do you get valid IP addresses back? If so, when you go to these IP addresses does it take you to the correct site? You might also want to look at your hosts file in the %windows%\system32\drivers\etc folder to see if anything is being redirected there. If anyone else uses your computer they could be just playing a prank or be sick of you visiting those sites so they are having fun at your expense.

I had the same problem on my XP PC except I could not log into any secure sites at all. I would get the message that the page could not be found or that some settings were preventing me from displaying the page. I have two accounts besides the Administrator account on my PC. This problem only affected my account but not my girlfriend's. I can't remember where I found the solution, but it worked for me. Some of my options like Local Internet and Trusted Sites had greyed out buttons (only on my account).

Here are a few things you can try. If you have two accounts on the PC, try to logon into both to see if the problem occurs on both. If you don't have two accounts, create a second one and try it. Check those internet security settings to see if any of the buttons are greyed out. If it only happens on one account, check and compare the registry registry settings below to see if they match and see if they match those of the working account.

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\1"
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\2"
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3"
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\4"

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\1"
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\2"
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3"
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\4"

Good luck.

Mythos

Cant Access MSN sites inc Hotmail ;-(

I guess most of you are using wireless routers whom get this error, well you'll need to access your router settings and change your MTU settings to 1500 or AUTO.

So access your router ie: 192.168.0.1 using your web browser (or whatever your routers address is)

Note: The MTU field can normally be found on the SETUP or SETTINGS page of your router settings.

Save settings (reboot the router) then try.

Let me know how you get on.

Supersav

I can't access hotmail.com or msn.com but can visit all other sites.

Had a similar problem and found out it was a trojan. Download malwarebytes anti-malware. Its free, update it after download and then do a full system scan, then remove malware. It worked for me hope it works for you too.

Expert Exchange fixes are remarkably good, in general.
We have found what Navious writes... that three good scans, MalwareBytes, SuperAntispyware, Adaware 2008, Spyware Doctor 5.5, and Spy Sweeper all do the job on this nasty series of Trojans.

Start > Run >

Type: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\hosts

Choose to open the file with notepad or word pad

The only lines you should see without a # in the front is "127.0.0.1 localhost". If you see hotmail, windowslive, msn etc.. you most definitely have some sort of virus/malware on your computer... Or someone was trying to trick you. :)

try this

go to internet options.
click on the *advanced tab*
click reset all to default that should fix your problem.

I have the same problem, but only with vista. I cant access pages like hotmail and microsoft. Other websites are fine. When i use XP, everything is perfect. I have to dual boot my pc just to play DX 10 games on vista. I tried everything, but nothing has worked so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back