I dropped my gpu onto my motherboard

nook5733

Hi guys,I'm new here if someone could help me out would be much much appreciated, I dropped my gpu onto my motherboard while trying to change CMOS battery , I left my gpu on the part of the case that hold PSU but then I bumped into the case accidentally and gpu slip and fall right on to my motherboard, I would like to know if there's anyway to check for gpu/motherboard for damages? cause after booting up playing games and stuff seems fine but I'm start getting this hitches and audio stuttering/popping all across my games and sometimes videos too, wondering if that could be cause by gpu being damaged or motherboard being damaged?

Hi! I'm no tech expert but I might be able to help out. I don't think the GPU would be the cause of the sound problems, unless you're using HDMI audio. If you aren't using HDMI audio, it may well be damage to any audio processor on your motherboard. Were you seeing the hitches before? Because it could just be a lag spike. For damages, I would check if there's any cracks or bent capacitors. If the computer was plugged in, you could have shorted something out.

The pc wasn't plug in(luckily lol) but for me there's now these weird hitches where it feel like whenver I play a game and it's trying to load in a new area before this it would be a very minor stuttering but nowaday instead of that there's almost this 2-3 seconds where it look like the gameplay is frozen/pause everytime game is trying to load in new asset (so far I saw it happened on REmake 3 , Witcher 3 and Gears 5) and I'm not using hdmi just the audio jack infront of pc.

Ok. I'm not sure about the frame rate hitches, but if you're using the audio jacks on the front panel of your case, make sure the HD audio cable is connected from the case to the motherboard. You can find where the front panel audio connectors are in your motherboard manual. If it is loose, that would probably be the culprit. It could have gotten pulled out a bit if the GPU fell on the cable.

Okay, I can try to check that it's still properly plug in, thanks for the help, I'm really paranoid that I might have break something, Motherboard is still fine if worst come to worst I can replace it but GPU I don't have enough moeny right now to sort that out :/

What GPU do you have? And if you can check for damage on the GPU. Ex. scratches, loose parts, broken plastic.

1080ti the galax exoc version, and as far as I can tell I couldn't see any bent or break (thing is the entire backplate is this metal plate thingy so I couldn't see through much) but from what I can see no bent socket or any scratch on IC.1588702368591.png

Also forgot to say it landed on the back side.. :S , I don't think it advisable for me to try to take that backplate off myself to check for cracks/scratch right?

Ok. I can see why you wouldn't be able to buy another one of those. You said it had a back plate covering the capacitors? I definitely wouldn't do that as you may damage it even more or void the warranty.

Yes, the picture I attached is showing that backplate thingy, I can only see a little bit on the sides but those looks fine, im really really hoping its not my gpu that is going bad :S

Did you look at the audio connector yet? Did it fix the sound problem? Also, you may want to try to play the game at a fixed frame rate. Pick a good frame rate that your monitor can support, and one that your GPU can keep up with.

Wait hold me, I'm going to check the audio connector right now, I will get back to you in a bit I think I should turn my pc off first before checking.

Here's the pics of the board I just took while opening up my pc , and umm I did try to jiggle wires around everything seems to be properly connected still.. there's one concerning thing I just noticed on the picture of my gpu you can see that it seems one of the heatsink "fin" (I don't know the proper term for it look bent) not sure if that could cause any issue or not..

Attachments

• S__30703641.jpg
    S__30703641.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 7
  • S__30703643.jpg
    S__30703643.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 6
  • S__30703644.jpg
    S__30703644.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 5
The one that looks really bent isn't bent at all. It is circled around because of the design.The GPU heat sink fin wouldn't cause anything big like that. The Motherboard looks intact, and it doesn't look like any cables are loose, at least from how I see it. Did you try to listen to something? and did you try to play a game with a set frame rate?

Ohhh soo those bent is perfectly normal then? *phew* thanks for that info xD and yes did launch a game just now there was a little popping sound but not as bad as usual, it's kinda hard to tell cause these things happen randomly sometimes it's stutters/pops a lot sometimes everything would work fine.. oh one more thing im not sure if it will help diagnose the cause or not but I also ran latencymon and it failed too say sth along the line of "Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates. "

You, shouldn't have to change anything is BIOS, because it's just a CMOS battery. Check your sound drivers. Make sure they're ok and running normally. If you continue to have the problem, try to plug the sound device into another AUX port if you haven't already done that.

And umm at least this does not look like the drop damaged my mobo or gpu right? still kinda paranoid about that :S

It doesn't look like it, but I can see why you're worried about it. I would be too. Unless there is very obvious wear or damage, you should be fine. To update sound drivers, go to control panel, then click on hardware and sound, then device manager. Then once you're there, go to sound, video, and game controllers. Then, click on the sound device you're having issues with, right click on it, and press "update driver" Hope that works :)

Okay, thanks a lot I was really really worry. especially if it's my gpu that's dying xD I tried and it say windows think I'm already using the best drivers..

Ok, so your drivers are up to date. Try to plug your audio device directly into your mobo. It could be a faulty aux connection.

Back