I guess Windows 7 stands for 7%

Status
Not open for further replies.

red1776

an editorial kind of :p:
Well here you have it gang!
The folks over at Tom's have run a benchmark of Vista vs 7 and its what i have suspected since running Vista and 7 in tandem for months now. After being lambasted and getting horrid PR since its launch, it turns out that Vista is not the dog that many who are now clamoring for Windows 7 claim it was.
I strongly suspect that if MS hadn't been caught up in the bad PR that took down Vista, They night have spent the last three plus years creating a new and innovative operating system....rather than giving Vista a fresh coat of lipstick for a (feel) of 7% faster.
I really have to wonder that if you told a 1000 XP'ians that have been singing 7's praises that the new OS was going to be Vista,.....but 7% faster, would switch to 7?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-7-performance,2442.html

I doubt those claims Greg; Vista Ultimate x64 was terribly slow on the same machine I now run Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on. It took ages to transfer a simple 1GB file to a flash drive from my HDD, and the OS was also painfully slow at booting (and at shutting down), which forced me to keep the machine on most of the time.

The UAC implementation on Vista was also far more annoying, and Windows 7 also sports a smoother experience than Vista IMO. Try changing a theme on W7; it takes far more time to switch the theme on Vista.

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit ran incredibly well for me - no problems with transferring files (after SP1) and fairly quick boot ups and shutdowns. I actually had no problems with Vista at all, but Windows 7 is a little faster and I like some of the changes they made so I migrated everything on over. UAC also calms down on Vista after you've been using the machine for a while and if you are a Mac user I was nagged less by UAC than the Mac OS security component does.

For us, Windows 7 was as different as Windows 98 was from Windows Me, or Windows XP from Windows 2000.
All useable, but Windows 7 is refined... smoother... faster on most of our machines. We plan to convert all before a year is up.

I've always been a defender of Vista. I ran VHP 32bit since launch mostly without issue . Turns out 7 has the same problem.

Now I'm running Win 7 Pro 64bit and things are switched around some compared to Vista, but it seems alright. It doesn't work with my Hauppauge PVR-250, I get video for TV, but no audio :( It worked in the Beta, but not the RC or the final (unless I mistakenly installed the 32bit beta).

So in summary. I liked Vista, and I think I like 7 so far.

I doubt those claims Greg; Vista Ultimate x64 was terribly slow on the same machine I now run Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on. It took ages to transfer a simple 1GB file to a flash drive from my HDD, and the OS was also painfully slow at booting (and at shutting down), which forced me to keep the machine on most of the time.

The UAC implementation on Vista was also far more annoying, and Windows 7 also sports a smoother experience than Vista IMO. Try changing a theme on W7; it takes far more time to switch the theme on Vista.

yes i have notice a few things that are slightly faster like boot time, but as far as apps, gaming, ...no difference. I like 7 as well, and faster is faster (if only marginally) but it sure does not seem like three years and all the hype better. i did my own gaming comparison and came up with the same results GURU 3D got here.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/windows-7-vs-vista-vga-game-performance/
I am just rather disappointed because it seems like MS got caught up in fixing the 'percieved' Vista problem rather than bring new ideas to 7.

I was hoping for more of a difference, I guess it's not my first upgrade priority anymore. I'll still get it, but I'll get a new motherboard and ram first. The only notable problem I have with vista is that it takes a bit before It takes a minute or so after it starts to connect to the internet.

I'm curios though, why did no one else say anything about deactivating UAC? I did it just a bit after I built this (which was just a week or two after the 4k and 9xxx series cards came out) and avg, spybot search and destroy, hijack this, ad aware and more recently avast (I'm not crazy I did uninstall avg before I installed avast), and peer guardian have not found a thing! Or was it for something other than security?

I actually like UAC for what it does, and in the work area I wouldn't dare let a user run wild on a machine without something to scare them when they do something that needs my attention. Disabling UAC is really only acceptable in a home situation - and only for experienced home users in my opinion.

I actually like UAC for what it does, and in the work area I wouldn't dare let a user run wild on a machine without something to scare them when they do something that needs my attention. Disabling UAC is really only acceptable in a home situation - and only for experienced home users in my opinion.

Ahhh that makes a lot more sense! I hadn't considered it being helpful in a work environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back