I just read "CCleaner" news and I want to ask about it

neowing

I just read "CCleaner" news.
I installed and used once in August 15 to September 11.
When I found this news, I delete it from my computer.

My question is following:

1] I want to know if this problem is apply to Win7, 64bits user.

2] Anyone know other alternative program that replace CCleaner ?

CCleaner was taken over by a security software company called Avast so there should be nothing to worry about. It's important to install the latest version from the Piriform website though. CCleaner is the best utility software out there and it's free so stick with it. Run a few full malware scans if you are getting over anxious.

I am using 64bit of Windows7 but I am not sure CCleaner was 32bit. or 64bits.
Therefore, I looked "Was I Affected?" section.

I am trying to find "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Piriform" but I want to know "HKLM" is "HKey Local Machine"
If so, I cannot find "Piriform" in section due to I uninstalled 5hrs ago.
Is that mean I am safe for now ?
Did you check your version of ccleaner ? 64bit ccleaner.JPG

Did you check your version of ccleaner ? View attachment 83327

When I found out the news, I read the article where it said

"Security firm Cisco Talos warned that version 5.33 of CCleaner, which was downloadable from August 15 to September 11, had been modified to include the Floxif malware."

I did not continue to finish the reading. That was the last line.
My eyes only detected date only even if I saw "version 5.33"

Because of August 15 to september 11, I updated most of programs, used application one time each of the software.

I just delete it from my computer without looking the version.
I was too afraid of if my personal information was stolen.

As a result, I run Antivirus/ Malwarebytes check just finished 5 min ago.
Nothing was detected.

But I want to know If I still have to find "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Piriform", or not.

//////
Edit:

I just looked at the system restore point. The Date is 09/13.
But I only confirm the version. It is 5.33 but it did not show me 32bits or 64bits.
What should I do ?

Last edited:
I did not continue to finish the reading. That was the last line.
My eyes only detected date only even if I saw "version 5.33"

I just delete it from my computer without looking the version.

What should I do ?
STAY CALM and don't be so reactive. Over reaction can exacerbate the problem and burn your bridges to a successful retreat.

One approach is to disconnect from the Internet - - at least until you have a better understanding AND know how to extricate yourself from the issue(s). As CCleaner is a PC program, you can use a smartphone to read/study and find out what others are recommending.

I have one computer running 64 bit Windows 10 and if you open options in CCleaner it says that it is 64 bit. On my other computers which are 32 bit it doesn't give any information so you have a 32 bit copy installed. Obviously that's for the latest version, 5.34.

The level of paranoia on Techspot is usually very high so try not to panic.

Last edited:
I have one computer running 64 bit Windows 10 and if you open options in CCleaner it says that it is 64 bit. On my other computers which are 32 bit it doesn't give any information so you have a 32 bit copy installed. Obviously that's for the latest version, 5.34.

The level of paranoia on Techspot is usually very high so try not to panic.

What if you delete CCleaner that is on the Win10- 64bits, and check the restore point ?
Is it said 64bits or nothing was write ?

I have W10 & my ccleaner is as shown so I take an educated guess & say I am safe. I read most of the linked article & according to it, I am safe. Others will correct me if I am wrong.

Neowig take this version here from may of 2017, don't worry about all the malware scare from ccleaner.
http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/75532/
Give avast some time and they'll have it under control, just a side note don't rely on ccleaner to do everything for you on a daily basis.
The only time I use it is to clear out registry problem while cleaning cluttered data junk with system mechanic.
I let system mechanic handle the work for me after I configure it in the settings.
Listen to what learningmypc and what joe has to say about ccleaner above.

Back