I need a new Processor for a Socket A Current 1.7ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

lothia

Hi, I am looking for a new Processor. I would get a new Mother board but I would rather get a new Processor instead. But seeing as how I am already going to upgrade my Video Card, Ram and now Processor that is the only thing really left. But to continue I have a shuttle AN35. And my Processor is an AMD Athlon(tm) XP, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.7GHz, it has a 453 pin PGA. If you have any ways you think it would be better to just upgrade my Mother board. Please give me ideas. I want a Processor that is at least 2.0Ghz. Also I am getting one of two video cards. Either the eVGA Geforce 6600 GT Video Card or the FX Geforce 6200. Right now I only have a AGP but I will get the Geforce 6600 GT PCI if I can get a new Mother board with PCi. Also I was going to just upgrade my ram to 1gig. It is DDR SDRAM. So if any of you know a new mother board that takes that that would be great as well. Any ways any amount of help would be great and you all are the best people I know and that's why I am asking.

PS: This is off topic but I had an older topic about BSOD and could the cause of been accidentally having my color quality at 16bit instead of 32?

With AMD processors, clock speed doesn't matter (there may be no difference between a 1.7GHz and a 2.0GHz), you need to go by the PR rating (i.e. 2500+), if you're going to stick with socketA, then get the highest PR rating you can find (Barton cores are the best performing socket A's)

... but since you are going to replace almost everything else, then i would suggest that you also get a new mobo and go with a socket939 setup instead of an outdated socketA setup.

i think you meant PCI-E, not PCI, all motherboards have PCI, and no socketA motherboard (that I know of at least) has PCI-E.

Yes I ment a PCI-E
Thank you so much for the help. I am most likely just going to upgrade it. Can you tell me any more about the PR rating.

Okay I will get a 3500+ I am not in the mood for a duel core.
Also as for V cards. The two I suggested are in the retail of about 80-140. I am wondering if you suggest any others that are around that. (I mean none over about 140) Thank you for that. I will post what i find and would like to know your opinion since you are all knowledgeable.

lothia said:
Okay I will get a 3500+ I am not in the mood for a duel core.
Also as for V cards. The two I suggested are in the retail of about 80-140. I am wondering if you suggest any others that are around that. (I mean none over about 140) Thank you for that. I will post what i find and would like to know your opinion since you are all knowledgeable.
Here's a good video card which should be able to play most of the games out today at a really nice quality: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133155

you need a an Athlon 3200+ XP (2.2ghz)

hard to find, but you can still get 'em on ebay

lothia said:
Can you tell me any more about the PR rating.
The PR (performance rating) system assigns model numbers to processors to indicate overall performance (based on benchmarking results)

there are more important factors than clock speed, such a cache size and speed, bus speed, core version, pin layout, memory architecture, etc...

basically you'll want to set a budget, then get the highest PR rating within your budget.

you'll also want to get the newest core available (again, within your budget) as it will have advantages over the older cores. for example 2 processors may have the same PR rating, but the newer core will generate less heat and consume less energy

Ahh okay.
Well I must say I am going to get the whole Shabang. I want at least 1 gig of Ram. (that is the last thing)
But I am getting a new mobo and processor. I have about 250 for those two pieces. And then 150 for V card, and then what ever for the 1 gig of ram.
Could any one assist on me for the Mobo and Processor?
Out of those cheaper Video Cards which one is the best? I would get that 169.99 but I have AOEIII lol. And I would rather get one of those others. So if you could assist on which would be best.
Please assist on the mobo and processor. I have seen the Athlon 64 XP that is a 2.0 gighz for about 119.99 not sure if it's worth it.

i suggest buying a socket 949 mobo with PCIe and dual channel for ultimate gaming. :) and an Athlon 64 3000+ or 3200+.
But i still think that the 169$ card is the best even if it has AOEIII :))..you could give it to a friend or someone...the card is priceless ;).

I have the Venice 3000+. It is a good performing processor. It is the baby of the bunch, but will still outperform any Athlon XP. (the PR rating scale is different for 64's than it is for XP's so don't confuse the 2)

All socket-939 processors support dual channel. Athlon64's have the memory controller built into the CPU. socket-754 only supports single channel, where socket-939 supports dual channel (which is the most significant difference between the 2 sockets)

Since the memory controller is on the CPU and not in the mobo chipset, all s-939 mobos "support" dual channel memory mode.

Yes it appears the one I choose is the Venice 3000 because if you type that into the search on that page and then click the 2.0 it comes up with the exact same link as the processor I have decided to get. I guess that is cool since unknowling I choose one some one just said is one of the best.

So now it goes to the mobo. I am wondering which one to get since they all "support" duel channeling for the 939 pin, now I need one that will work well, and isn't to expensive.

lothia said:
I want at least 1 gig of Ram. (that is the last thing)
But I am getting a new mobo and processor. I have about 250 for those two pieces. And then 150 for V card, and then what ever for the 1 gig of ram.
Could any one assist on me for the Mobo and Processor?
you can expect to pay $80-$130 for the 1GB RAM depending on the brand and model you choose.

The mobo that I bought is the ASrock-939DualSATAII . it goes for $66 on newegg. ASRock is not the best name in mobos nor is it the worst (ASUS designs them and has ECS build them). The board has gotten very good reviews (you can google for them if you want) and it will let you upgrade your vid card seperately instead of all at once.

The reason I bought it was so I could upgrade my AthlonXP to an s-939 Athlon64 without having to buy a new vid card right away. I had (and still use) an AGP card and didn't have the money for a high end PCI-E card, so this board was a good solution for me. The mobo has PCI-E x16 and AGP 8X and they are both native (which means neither one is a slow PCI bridged slot). It will even allow you to install a AM2 CPU when they come out (via a AM2 CPU expansion card)

If you want a better board, I would go with an ABIT, ASUS, or DFI board with the NForce4 chipset. As far as the CPU goes, If you don't want to have to upgrade for a while, I would get a better CPU than the 3000+.

you're going to have to decide what you want to compromise on between the CPU and mobo, if you buy a cheaper mobo then you can get a higher PR-rated CPU, if you buy a lower PR rated CPU, then you can get a higher end mobo.

I just want a board that can work well. I do not truly see what the difference in mobos are other then the speed since I always thought the CPU was what did all the processing and each instance had to go through it. I understand bridges a bit and have seen most having the GF4. This one you said has a PCI-E that is not on a slower connection then the AGP. I have seen to types of PCI-E a 16x and then one with out that. Most video cards that use a PCI-E go with either? Well I am upgrading everything at once since I am giving my current set to my friend because he has an old Optiplex GX 150. Any ways I knew that the Ram would cost at least $100.00+ and everything would need to be upgraded. I guess I do not care for one more then the other as long as they are both average. A higher CPU such as a 3500+ with that Mobo would work well?

What is the major difference between ATA and IDE in harddrives?

lothia said:
Yes it appears the one I choose is the Venice 3000 because if you type that into the search on that page and then click the 2.0 it comes up with the exact same link as the processor I have decided to get
that's odd, the Venice 3000+ runs at 1.8GHz, not 2.0GHz (but with any board that allows changing of the bus speed, it will easily OC to 2GHz without any other settings to change (which brings it up to 3200+ speeds).

Also, the one you linked to is the older E3 stepping. There is a newer E6 stepping dore revision. Its supposed to have some bug fixes and a better memory controller if i remember correctly, so you may want to spend the extra few bucks on the newer E6 model.

lothia said:
What is the major difference between ATA and IDE in harddrives?
ATA and IDE is the same thing.

If you meant SATA, then there is a difference. ATA has a max transfer rate of 133Mb/s, SATAI has a max transfer rate of 150Mb/s, SATAII has a max transfer rate of 300Mb/s.

Generally speaking unless you are moving huge files, the internal transfer rate of the hard drive will not exceed 80Mb/s so you really won't notice much of a difference.

The advantages of SATA IMO are that it uses a smaller cable and there's no jumper settings to screw around with

Yes it shos the 1.8GHz but also says there is a 2.0GHz.
Here is a copy of the title:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3000BPBOX - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1600MHz HT 512KB L2 Cache Socket 754 E6 Processor - Retail

It appeasr to me but the 2.0Ghz has a lower MHz then the 1.8Ghz. Since the top is the 1.8 and the bottom is the 2.0.

So say I where to get that 1.8Ghz, I was always under the impression that over clocking something isn't good. Any ways you said that it could always out perform one of the other Athlon XP's correct?
Also this is a E6 stepping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103606
The one you suggested correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back