I need a new video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

im looking to get another video card, because my current one is slow. I'm looking forward to play games like wow, grand theft auto, and the Sims 2. The main problem is, that i don't know what kind of card I should get.

Can anyone help me please? I'm a newbie when it comes to computers.

The first and main questionis.... what kind of slot do you have open? PCI, AGP, or PCI express. If you don't know off hand you can check your computer documentation or give us the exact make and model number and maybe we (all of us here) can find out.

Second questions is what are you willing to spend?

Third question is are you willing to upgrade your power supply to get the graphics you want? Most pre-built pc's (HP, Dell, etc...) come with power supplys that can't handle the extra load that a new g card needs. The power supply can fail (not always right away) and take your mobo with it. This may be a moot question if your comp only has PCI slots open as they don't require nearly as much power.

GeForce 7 series as well as GeForce 6 series (preferably 6800) will handle WoW and GTA. For ATI equivalents, the X series (X850), and the X1K series (preferably X1800 or higher) should run those games fine. Just use
www.newegg.com and you should have no problem finding these cards.

Sorry for the very late reply.

Sorry for taking soooo long to reply. I've been busy with my school. I asked my brother about this machine's specs, here they are:
Intel P4 2.8 mhz
ECS P4M890T-M2 motherboard
512 memory
120 hard drive

fortunately, this is not a pre-built pc. My brother built it :)

I can spend now up to $120 maximum. No more;)
Thank you guys:bounce:

Thanks, but can you find me a cheaper card?? I don't trust rebates. I haven't had luck with them ;)

Also, what about my power unit? How do I know if it's good enough?

Look inside the case at the power supply. There should be a sticker on the bottom of it that gives the brand & watts. There should also be a chart that shows certains volts and amps. Look under the 12+ volt line(s) header and let us know how many amps it is rated at.

Take a look at THIS card Stephie (Geforce 7600GTS). It's good, and won't require a $$$$$$$ PSU (power supply ;)).

And THIS PSU is the cheapest, best performing PSU I could find in Newegg.

Regards :wave:

To check your power supply (as requested by the last post), Turn off your computer, and unplug it (safety reasons), then open the side case looking for a chart with a bunch of +,- values. Look for the MAX. Watt or something similar, and write it down. ALso, look for the +12V, and record down the number below it (should be a value that ends with an a), then post us back.

If you don't want to get the 7600GTS, then get the X800GTO as suggested by john2008 (johnmayo hehe).

You do not absolutely need an X800 series card or a GeForce 7 series card to run WoW, GTA and The Sims 2 smoothly! U can run it just fine on this card. It's cheap, but is quite powerful. Not as much as an X800GTO or a 7600GT I agree, but it gets the job done. It has 8 pipelines so it's a predecessor of the 7300GT, which is a better performing card but is around $30-40 more in price.
As for John, all I can say is that Howard is gonna be very busy for a coupla days....;)

That's good Rage. I'm pretty sure that her wallet will love that card.
I completely forgot about the Geforce 6 series.

And yes, Howard will be busy kicking johnmayo's *** hehe :)

wolfram said:
That's good Rage. I'm pretty sure that her wallet will love that card.
I completely forgot about the Geforce 6 series.

And yes, Howard will be busy kicking johnmayo's *** hehe :)

Yes, may I suggest the GeForce 6600? It would be a perfect card for World of Warcraft (even though I've never played it), GTA, and the Sims 2 (You'll pretty much be able to play them maxed out on an inexpensive card).

Rage suggested a 6600 card lol :haha:

ShowImage.asp

wolfram said:
Rage suggested a 6600 card lol :haha:

ShowImage.asp

Whoops! A 6600 would be a decent card overall. The 6800 might be a little overkill, and the 6200 wouldn't run those games (all of them anyway) maxed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back