I need help with the specs for my gaming PC

benmenftw

I ordered a gaming PC about a year ago and now want to upgrade due to a faulty video card. This is what my PC would look like if I upgraded now;

motherboard: Msi 770-G45

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 945

Ram/memory: 4 GB DDR3

Graphics card: Geforce GTX 260

PSU: hec XP1080 1080W Continuous @ 40°C ATX12V / EPS12V CrossFire & SLI NVIDIA HYBRID-SLI Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

So, are these parts all compatible, is my motherboard compatible with a directx 11 gpu? Please reply if they look compatible or not. Have a nice day!

So, are these parts all compatible..
Yes
is my motherboard compatible with a directx 11 gpu?
Yes, insofar as motherboards aren't dependant upon which DirectX API the card is capable of utilising. Graphics card compatibility is dependant upon the slot interface the motherboard uses.
Your MSI board uses PCI-E graphics slot
GTX 260 uses PCI-E graphics slot
Match made in heaven
Graphics card: Geforce GTX 260
The GTX 260 isn't DirectX 11 capable, so why DX11 is an issue is a moot point.
Please reply if they look compatible or not
Done
Have a nice day!
You too.

Yes

Yes, insofar as motherboards aren't dependant upon which DirectX API the card is capable of utilising. Graphics card compatibility is dependant upon the slot interface the motherboard uses.
Your MSI board uses PCI-E graphics slot
GTX 260 uses PCI-E graphics slot
Match made in heaven

The GTX 260 isn't DirectX 11 capable, so why DX11 is an issue is a moot point.

Done

You too.

Yeah about the card not being dx11 I was just wondering if I could get a better one that is dx11 and if that would still work in my machine. Thank you and have a happy new year!

That kind of depends on how much your budget is, what is available to you in etail/retail and what kind of gaming you intend to do.
Assuming you're based in the U.S. :

At or near GTX 260 performance:
HD 5770 1Gb ($120 inc shipping, or this one for $100 after rebate)
GTS 450 1Gb ($110 after rebate)
Better than GTX 260 performance:
GTX 460 768Mb ($120 after MIR)
The GTX 460 768Mb will offer pretty good performance at 1680x1050/1920x1080. You may need to sacrifice some eye-candy in some games- but you'll still get a better gaming experience than the GTX 260 can provide.

Then there is a bit of a speed bump in pricing until you get to the
GTX 460 1Gb ($150 after MIR) or
HD 6850 1Gb ($170 after MIR)
Both these cards will handle the majority of games at 1680x1050/1920x1080 resolutions with very good image quality.

Other vendors cards are obviously also available and warranty length, cooling ability, as well as retail bundle that comes with the cards should be taken into account.

Why wouldn't it be?

We've already established that the only criteria for graphics card/motherboard compatibility is that a PCI-Express motherboard needs a PCI-Express graphics card and that you have more than sufficient power to run the card.

If you've already decided on the card...
Oh I found a GTX 465 on Newegg that is in my budget. Thank you for the help though.
...asking about it's compatibility now seems rather...superfluous

The only real factors to have come under consideration would have been the subjective issues of heat generation and loudness.

hey I ordered the new psu and Video Card but instead of getting a gtx 260 I decided to upgrade more and get the Ati Radeon HD 5770. Since it has the right PCI slot and my motherboard has and amd chipset I assume it's compatible right? Although the memory interface is 128 bits instead of 256 will that make it non-compatible? I assume not since the motherboard is amd like I stated earlier.

hey I ordered the new psu and Video Card but instead of getting a gtx 260 I decided to upgrade more and get the Ati Radeon HD 5770.
Yes it is compatible even though your logic is wrong, but I'd say it's more of a downgrade IMO.
You bought a new powersupply too?

yeah the hec XP1080 was the upgrade not the one I already had. And my motherboard is not Sli compatible but it is crossfire compatible so maybe I could get some extra longevity out of it if I bought another one, also it is DX 11 rather than 10 like my current nvidia gpu plus It has a faster core clock than my gts 250.

Back