I/O device error with external hard drive

Hello so this is the issue.

I have win vista x64,sp2.
Toshiba satellite
and a Seagate freeagent goflex 1tb external HD.

I had been using the external for a while. noticed some information wasnt really working properly. I thought I would do a chkdsk.

However, I used Tuneup utilities to perform the thorough chkdsk of my external HD, i figured it would find and fix any bad clusters. WRONG. after 20hrs of waiting. I restarted the PC, and now i cant access any information. The external shows up in "computer" I can open certain folders but after a few mins I cant access anything and i get the I/O device error...

ive tried running chkdsk /r just from the PC in a CMD window. It shows a list of 30-50 files that are "unreadable" and sticks on a certain file at around 6% complete every time.

Ive tried all of seagates suggestions and other then that everyone else just says to run chkdsk on other forums. I really do not want to loose this information at all costs...

any information would be fantastic.

thanks for your help in advance.

i was worried of this. I am traveling in India at the moment. Do you think this is something I might be able to get fixed from a local computer shop, at least licensed for seagate retail?

Have you tried using SeaTools to diagnose this further?

Do you think this is something I might be able to get fixed from a local computer shop, at least licensed for seagate retail?

by local computer shop, if you mean a reputed computer repair shop known to repair hard drives in particular, then why not. Although, I would just find the nearest Seagate service center to have them look at the external.

Good luck.

Back