I5 6400 only allowing me to use 1 core

Hello everyone! I'm not sure if anyone has actually encountered this before. But, here's the thing. I'm currently using I5-6400 (I'm only specifying this part because this is probably the only important one) which is supposed to have 4 cores. However, ever since this desktop was repaired. It has only been using 1 core. When this was broken, a lot of its parts were replaced, namely: PSU, Mobo, RAM, and HDD. The HDD was used is an HDD from an old AIO that we had here lying around. In the BIOS, it does allow me to modify it up to 4 cores, however, when I do, it doesn't boot up. It just freezes. I've tried a lot of things. But none of them have worked. Has anyone ever encountered this problem? Thanks!

Did you repair it yourself or was it at a shop? If it's the latter, I would just take it back there.

Time to reset the BIOS by loading BIOS defaults then saving that. That way any settings that are interfering with the other cores will be removed.

Update: I did reset the bios, however, whenever I try to boot, it wouldn't boot at all. It would get stuck on Automatic repair endlessly and then just completely stop working.

Back