IE runs slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems you have a laptop with preinstalled stuff. You should uninstall that preinstalled stuff because it generally does nothing. Except if I'm wrong...

Also, did you define these:
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.intuit.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http:)//www).nick.com

If not, you should remove them, I guess...

Another thing, you should uninstall Norton and everything related to it and get another security software. Norton is bloatware that hogs system resources and does nothing. I suggest AntiVir or Avast. But definitely get rid of Norton.

We don't tell users to uninstall security programs that they have paid for. We would instead suggest that they consider a different programs when the subscriptions due. Although you might hate Norton, it cost money- and tha's not to waste. As long as the subscription is current and getting updates, it can stay.

As for this comment:
Also, did you define these:
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.intuit.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http:)//www).nick.com

If not, you should remove them, I guess...

IF you have to "guess" then you don't tell someone to do it!
-------------------------------
dmrc:

• [1] Describe 'slow': slow to load? slow to surf? slow to shut down?
    [2] Is this a new problem?
    [3]. Have you look on the Startup menu to see what's starting on boot?
  • To access Startup: Click on Start> Run> type in msconfig> enter>
  • When you access the msconfig utility, it is usually on the General tab. On that screen, you check Selective Startup> everything below that should be checked EXCEPT the "Load the Startup Items".
    general_scr.gif

• Once that is done, click on the Startup tab> here's what you'll see:
    msconfigyd9.jpg

If you need to expand the Command Column, (this shows what the process 'belongs' to) hold left mouse button down on the dividing line on from next to Location and move to the right to expand.
  • This is where you UNCHECK the Startup items. This does not remove the item or uninstall anything> it just stops it from starting on boot. IT can be rechecked at any time if wanted. You don't do anything on the other tabs. When through> Apply> OK

NOTE: You only need the AV, third party firewall . If it's a laptop, leave the entry for the Touchpad. Nothing else needs to start on boot and run in the background.

When you reboot the system the first time after making changes, a nag message comes up that can be ignored and closed after checking 'don't show this message again.' Stay in Selective Startup to retain the changes.

Once you make changes to the Startup menu, you must remain in Selective Startup to retain those changed. If you go back to Normal Startup, everything you unchecked will be checked again and start on boot.

[4] Are you having other symptoms? What are they?
    [5] Are you getting error messages? What are they?
    [6] After you make the changes on the startup menu, open the Task Manager and tell me how many processes are running.
  • Right click on Taskbar> Task Manager> Processes tab> look in lower left corner. The Services that are on Automatic will be included in this number as well as auto-updates, programs and apps.

I am not reviewing you for malware. These are things that affect 'speed'.

Let me know if you need more help.

bobbye,
this is my mom-in-laws laptop. she installs all kinds of stuff.
I don't know what I can turn off on startup. ie and most progs slow to start. more than 1 ie window slows the whole thing down. no errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back