IGN editor-in-chief fired on misconduct allegations

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

Well-known and frequented gaming website IGN lost its editor-in-chief Steve Butts today over misconduct allegations. The firing comes after an internal investigation that took place from November through December.

IGN general manager Mitch Galbraith told Kotaku, “IGN initiated an investigation into alleged misconduct involving Steve Butts. As a result of the investigation, the Company [sic] has appropriately determined to part ways with Mr. Butts.”

Butt’s firing is the second shakeup within the company over misconduct in as many months. It was just two months ago that Kallie Plagge accused Vince Ingenito, a former IGN editor, of sexual harassment of her and another co-worker. Ingenito, who was “laid off” for unrelated reasons back in March 2017, said he misunderstood the level of friendship between himself and Plagge, which led to the allegations.

The incident prompted a series of meetings to “fix” the company's interoffice culture. It was at one of these gatherings that someone accused Butts of harassment. The accuser did not share any details during the meeting, but IGN launched an investigation into the matter.

Butts was not put on leave, but he was relegated to working from home pending the investigation. It was known in the office that he was telecommuting due to the accusations, and according to staff, it made it uncomfortable and awkward. They were unsure if he would be back or not — it was like an “elephant in the room.”

“Staff were left whispering and waiting to see whether he would come back.”

In Plagge’s statements regarding Ingenito, she had said there was a boss who had not dealt with the situation appropriately. She claimed that due to this she felt uncomfortable working there and quit in December. She told Kotaku that the boss she was referring to was Butts.

‘“He told me, ‘Don’t be so uptight about it,’” Plagge recounted. “As I said on Twitter, he would also say things like ‘I just want this unpleasantness to be over,’ like we were causing him a lot of problems.”

Butts has not responded to requests for comment.

Permalink to story.

If Butts did indeed gloss over a hostile workplace situation due to unwanted advances, that's a problem. However, if this women blew the whole thing out of proportion that's *also* a problem. I hope the truth comes to light quickly.

If Butts did indeed gloss over a hostile workplace situation due to unwanted advances, that's a problem. However, if this women blew the whole thing out of proportion that's *also* a problem. I hope the truth comes to light quickly.

From other reports I've read, it seems he was fired because he himself was accused of sexual harassment.

Will I get fired for stating she has quite the Rack. From the pictures I've seen she enjoys showing off her baubles

If you read the article the truth already came to light. There was an internal investigation which culminated in Butt getting fired.

Butts
giphy.gif

db2.jpg

How to avoid sexual harassment allegations:

1. Be handsome.
2. Be attractive.
3. Don't be unattractive.

Alternatively:

1. Don't involve yourself privately with women who aren't your wife.

If these guys had listened to Tom Brady or Mike Pence, they'd still have their jobs.

How to avoid sexual harassment allegations:

1. Be handsome.
2. Be attractive.
3. Don't be unattractive.

Alternatively:

1. Don't involve yourself privately with women who aren't your wife.

If these guys had listened to Tom Brady or Mike Pence, they'd still have their jobs.

I disagree with the first part. According to her complaint, Vince was feeling up on her. I know lots of people put up the facade of indifference (especially men) when it comes to sexual assault from the opposite sex, but In reality I doubt anyone would be ok with getting felt up without giving consent. I'm a dude and I know I wouldn't especially when I'm at work.

....and no. It wouldn't matter how "attractive" she is either.

I disagree with the first part. According to her complaint, Vince was feeling up on her. I know lots of people put up the facade of indifference (especially men) when it comes to sexual assault from the opposite sex, but In reality I doubt anyone would be ok with getting felt up without giving consent. I'm a dude and I know I wouldn't especially when I'm at work.

....and no. It wouldn't matter how "attractive" she is either.

You're misunderstanding how the rule applies. I bolded the important part.

Nobody likes being touched, especially sexually, without wanting it (giving consent). 100% of cases involving work-place harassment filings involves someone violating the Brady Rule and interpreting a woman's non-verbal rejection as non-verbal consent. They literally cannot tell the difference between a woman who wants to be touched and one who does not.

What's important to remember about the Brady Rule is that attraction is a state of sexual desirability. The more attractive you are, the more members of the opposite sex want to be physically close to you. This includes touch.

If you violate the rule, by definition you are doing something someone does not want you to do.

Ergo, all instances of workplace sexual assault are examples of a Brady Rule violation. Some guy who is socially unskilled could not tell the girl he was interacting with wasn't into him. He carried on as if she were, and the rest you read about in the headlines.

Will I get fired for stating she has quite the Rack. From the pictures I've seen she enjoys showing off her baubles
well if I adopt the attitudes expressed in some of the press, this is an example of you sexualizing her (even if she wears a pushup bra with cleavage showing as deep as the Marianas Trench and walks around the office in a thong). You should not only be ashamed, but be a criminal.
hmmm, what else. Victim blamer, creep, misogynist, there is more, but I don't keep up with the press.

well if I adopt the attitudes expressed in some of the press, this is an example of you sexualizing her (even if she wears a pushup bra with cleavage showing as deep as the Marianas Trench and walks around the office in a thong). You should not only be ashamed, but be a criminal.
hmmm, what else. Victim blamer, creep, misogynist, there is more, but I don't keep up with the press.
You are funny. I just like tits and girls like showing their tits off

All I'm saying is neither is in the right. If you're at an work related event, no matter how social its intent, there's still an appropriate way to dress and one that isn't. The question is how their policy is and how it's communicated. I'm NOT in any way defending his actions or w/e. I don't know anything about him.

Back