IKEA is bringing its residential solar panels to eight more regions

Justin Kahn

ikea

After IKEA began its foray into residential solar panels in the UK, some wondered whether or not the project would take off for the massive boxed furniture outlet. Apparently the program must have done fairly well, regardless of the UK’s well known rainy weather, as the company has now announced it will be expanding it into more countries.

CEO Peter Agnefjäll said IKEA’s solar panel service will be available in 8 more countries over the next 18 months. Unfortunately, the company hasn’t released details on all of the regions included. We know the Netherlands will be first with access to the IKEA panels as early as October 28th and stores in Switzerland should see them come available sometime before Christmas. Some reports suggest the remaining six countries are likely also nearby European regions. Even with an entry price of nearly $10,000, it seems as though the panels must have created enough interest for IKEA to move them into other European regions.

Also as part of his recent announcement, Agnefjäll mentioned the company’s pledge to help CO2 emissions each year. By 2020, according to the CEO, IKEA plans to be using renewable or recycled sources for all its plastic products. The company hopes to reduce as much as 700,000 tons of CO2 a year.

Permalink to story.

$10,000 as an entry price for the low-cost solar panel? Is that supposed to be a joke?

Just out of curiosity, how much is then the top-notch high-cost panel? $1,000,000?

I also wonder how much is that 18-panel set shown on the picture. And how long does it take to even get your money back...

$10,000 as an entry price for the low-cost solar panel? Is that supposed to be a joke?

Just out of curiosity, how much is then the top-notch high-cost panel? $1,000,000?

I also wonder how much is that 18-panel set shown on the picture. And how long does it take to even get your money back...
Well in my area (4 hours of sun average) I would need a 6.25 kWh solar system to take over 100% of my electrical needs and would save me about $180 per month. If I can get a 6.25 kWh system for $10,000 I would make that back in less than 5 years and beyond that is free money basically, not to mention the fact that most governments will give tax breaks for installing solar panels (in the thousands of dollars) which helps more. $10,000 for an entry level system is not bad depending on the materials and the total output of the system so I can see why it is popular. For anyone who owns a home and lives in an area with enough sun they are a good option even if they don't completely remove all need of the electric company.

Well in my area (4 hours of sun average) I would need a 6.25 kWh solar system to take over 100% of my electrical needs and would save me about $180 per month. If I can get a 6.25 kWh system for $10,000 I would make that back in less than 5 years and beyond that is free money basically, not to mention the fact that most governments will give tax breaks for installing solar panels (in the thousands of dollars) which helps more. $10,000 for an entry level system is not bad depending on the materials and the total output of the system so I can see why it is popular. For anyone who owns a home and lives in an area with enough sun they are a good option even if they don't completely remove all need of the electric company.

I think that 5 years just to get your money back is way too long. I'd say 2 times too long. And I would look into their efficiency after 5 years of service.

I think that 5 years just to get your money back is way too long. I'd say 2 times too long. And I would look into their efficiency after 5 years of service.
When you own a house you are generally in it for the long haul so something that will lower your bills considerably immediately and lower costs even more in 5 years is a good thing. Hell in most places adding a custom solar system can add a rather large amount to the value of your home if you wish to sell later on making it even more useful. As for efficiency depending on the material they lose from 0.36% to 0.96% per year making them still very efficient and useful for many years also they can be upgraded to more powerful and more efficient panels for a lower cost later on.

Back