Importing Camcorder or VHS footage to PC

By Nazobyte ยท 5 replies
Jul 9, 2002
  1. Hi Guys,
    I am running Windows ME and would like to get some of my camcorder footage onto my PC. I can easily put it on to VHS also ready to import if that is easiest.
    I have noticed that i have a utility built into Windows ME called Windows Movie Maker and i understand that you can use this software to import the movies, but the instructions i have read unfortunately do not detail the video card requirments or Cable/connectors required either. I have a 3D Prophet II MX PCI Card, do i need a special Video capture card or something?
    What cables are the most common or obvious ones to use?
    How can i go about getting some success here?
    If you could send any good links to helpful sites or just give me your some advice or input i would greatly appreciate it.
    Many thanks, hope you can help ;)
  2. Mictlantecuhtli

    Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

    Welcome to Techspot!
    I tried the search function about "video capture" but found nothing.. However, this has been discussed before.
    VCR to Mpeg or similar
    Video Capture?
    (I wonder why search came out empty..)
  3. StormBringer

    StormBringer TS Maniac Posts: 2,244

    I'm unsure of the quality because I have never used it but Dazzle makes a USB device that is made for use with WinME(only) that is supposed to be pretty good for general use. Personally I use an ATI TV Wonder card. I am very pleased with the results I have gotten from it, although the software that came with it isn't very good(at least not in XP) The Windows Movie Maker program isn't the best either but it is ok if you just want to clip or merge footage and other basic editing functions.

    I'd suggest the ATI TV wonder but check to see if your video card is supported because some don't work so well with it. If it doesn't support your card, you might want to get an all in wonder or try the Dazzle device I mentioned. The price of these things will start around $45 for the Dazzle device, the TV Wonder is also about that, they just go up from there.

    using any of those devices will require basically the same procedure. You simply hook the A/V cables or Svideo from the card or device to your camera or VCR. Some require you jump the sound to your sound card's line-in.
  4. JAV

    JAV TS Rookie Posts: 210

    Info post:

    I don't know, but I've been told:

    I believe it was 1st designed for what you're asking about.

    My '99 comp w/Win98SE came with it, but I haven't used it.

    You might want to look at this too Storm. MUCH faster than USB & it is moving forward too!

  5. StormBringer

    StormBringer TS Maniac Posts: 2,244

    I have a 1394 Firewire card and use it for a digital cam I have but
    What does Firewire have to do with capturing video unless the cam and VCR are equipped with Firewire as well? You still need a capture card or device. I didn't think to mention it but yes, capture devices are also available in Firewire as well as USB.

    If the camcorder(haven't seen a VCR with it) is equipped with a Firewire 1394 or USB out, then you won't need a separate card or device unless your computer doesn't have the corresponding ports.

    If that is confusing just PM me and I'll try to explain it and help you sort out exactly what you need.
  6. Nazobyte

    Nazobyte TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 20

    Thanks for help

    Well thanks for the help people, links provided everything i need to know, cheers. Whether ill successfully pull it off yet remains to be seen, but ill update you if i do. Many thanks all :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...