Impossible Burgers will soon be available at your local grocery store

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Plant-based meat products are taking the market by storm. Despite their premium price, consumers are showing a willingness to support the animal alternative. And with large corporations like Tyson and Hormel getting involved, availability is sure to increase and prices will drop.

You’ll soon be able to grill out meatless burgers in your own backyard as Impossible Foods, the company behind the plant-based Impossible Burger, makes its grocery store debut on September 20.

Regional supermarket chain Gelson’s will be the first to get the meatless burgers. According to Engadget, you’ll be able to pick up 12-ounce packages at more than two dozen Gelson’s locations across Southern California for $8.99. Considering each burger is four ounces, that works out to about $3 per patty.

It’s expensive, no doubt, but consumers have already shown that they’re willing to pay a premium for plant-based imitation meat.

Beyond Meat Inc., an Impossible Foods rival that is already available in select grocery stores, said earlier this year that it expects to more than double its revenues in 2019.

The Impossible Burger is already on menus at more than 17,000 restaurants. You can now get them at Burger King locations across the country as part of the Impossible Whopper.

Impossible Foods founder and CEO Dr. Patrick O. Brown said they can’t wait for home cooks to experience the magic – whether using Impossible Burger in their family favorites or inventing new recipes that go viral.

Impossible Burgers will debut on the East Coast later this month, we’re told, as the nationwide rollout continues through Q4 and into 2020.

Permalink to story.

There are some meat types I absolutely will not stop eating.

#1 chicken wings.
#2 chicken sandwiches
#3 Bacon Cheeseburgers
#4 Bacon
#5 Sausage
#6 Pepperoni
#7 Salami
#8 turkey
#9 ground beef
#10 Veal

I don't trust the Impossible burger because of the excessive processing that needs to go into it and the hormones in soy.

I'll be sure to pay for this meat made out of plants with my money made out of saw dust.

I wonder how many plant pesticides each burger patty will have.

There are some meat types I absolutely will not stop eating.

#1 chicken wings.
#2 chicken sandwiches
#3 Bacon Cheeseburgers
#4 Bacon
#5 Sausage
#6 Pepperoni
#7 Salami
#8 turkey
#9 ground beef
#10 Veal

I don't trust the Impossible burger because of the excessive processing that needs to go into it and the hormones in soy.

You do realize there is excessive processing of ground beef along with excessive amounts of hormones and soy (and corn), right?

I've tried it. If they can get that pesky price down, I'd totally switch. But of course, it's healthy (less unhealthy?) so we raised the price. Just like fries vs salad.

You do realize there is excessive processing of ground beef along with excessive amounts of hormones and soy (and corn), right?

It takes more energy and effort to make these impossible burgers than it does to raise live animals and grind them up into burger. That's why they are more expensive.

I spend a lot of time in South East Asia. The meat we eat here is devoid of most chemicals and pesticides.

I notice we are thinner than Americans.

I notice lower cancer rates.

I'll be sure to pay for this meat made out of plants with my money made out of saw dust.

I wonder how many plant pesticides each burger patty will have.

Probably far less then the hormones in the equivalent factory farmed beef.

Meh. It's a tradeoff. Fake beef has less cholesterol than real beef, but also has more sodium and more carbs. I'll stick with the real thing.

I think people would be a lot more receptive if they called it something else. Because it's supposed to be a burger but it isn't people who want a burger will dislike it cause it's fake.

I've been eating Linda McCartney substitutes and Oumph!, not sure if you guys have those in the US but they have definitely have reduced my meat consumption. Trying to only eat white meat as well, just to try and be more sustainable.

Can't wait....years down the road, when someone finds out these things are BAD for you and the "if you or a loved one" lawsuit commercials pop up on television.

It takes more energy and effort to make these impossible burgers than it does to raise live animals and grind them up into burger. That's why they are more expensive.
Source?

Looking at the impossible website: https://faq.impossiblefoods.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018937494-What-are-the-ingredients-

Many of the ingredients are pretty common. The only differentiator is Heme, which reportedly is responsible for the meat flavor in animals and plants. So unless Heme is very expensive to make, you are more or less paying for the R&D of the burger. I would expect prices to fall over time if we get some competition in the market.

Can't wait....years down the road, when someone finds out these things are BAD for you and the "if you or a loved one" lawsuit commercials pop up on television.

What? That can't be. Products based on emotions and feelings can't be bad. Just look at how fatty foods were bad, and now you have almost zero fats in food but you have corn syrup instead. That worked out fine. So will no meat diet.

What? That can't be. Products based on emotions and feelings can't be bad. Just look at how fatty foods were bad, and now you have almost zero fats in food but you have corn syrup instead. That worked out fine. So will no meat diet.
I get your sarcasm. The sad thing is that there are many studies that show that eating fat does not make you fat - sugar is the real culprit. So replacing fat with anything is just deceiving the customers. Especially when corn syrup is just another kind of sugar.
Sources:
https://www.businessinsider.com/eating-fat-wont-make-you-fat-sugar-will-2018-7?r=US&IR=T
https://www.livescience.com/10079-difference-corn-syrup-sugar.html

Back