Impossible's plant-based chicken nuggets are now rolling out nationwide

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Taste test: Impossible conducted a blind taste test in Irving, Texas, among 201 meat-eating consumers, “many of whom regularly eat plant-based products.” Of those surveyed, 74 percent said they preferred Impossible Chicken Nuggets over animal chicken nuggets from a leading supplier. Impossible said its product scored higher in liking in every category, including texture, flavor and overall appearance.

Impossible Foods is expanding beyond its plant-based beef and pork lines with an all-new category.

Impossible Chicken Nuggets “feature a golden, crispy breadcrumb coating, a juicy and springy white meat texture and a savory chicken flavor” that contains 40 percent less saturated fat and 25 percent less sodium, per serving, compared to animal chicken nuggets.

The company also said that according to a preliminary life cycle assessment, Impossible Chicken Nuggets use 48-49 percent less land, 43-44 percent less water and generate 36 percent less GHG emissions compared to animal-based nuggets.

Yeah, but how do they taste?

Engadget’s N. Lee recently tried the nuggets at a local Gott’s Roadside in San Francisco.

They were absolutely delicious, with a crispy well-seasoned breading and a juicy, moist interior. Fresh out of the fryer, they definitely tasted better than the “chik’n” nuggets from the likes of Gardein or Boca Burgers. They didn’t taste exactly like chicken either, but they were close enough that I didn’t mind. In fact, when dipped in various sauces (Gott’s serves them with ranch, ketchup and honey mustard), they were indistinguishable from the real deal.

Impossible Nuggets will be available at select restaurants around the country starting today including Tal Ronnen’s Los Angeles hotspot Crossroads Kitchen, David Chang’s fried chicken concept Fuku in New York City and Sean Brock’s fast-food tribute Joyland in Nashville.

But you don’t have to go to a specialty restaurant to find the new nugs. Fatburger and Dog Haus will have them nationwide this week, and later this month, you’ll be able to pick up Impossible Nuggets at grocery stores including Kroger, Walmart, Albertsons, Gelsons, Giant Stores, ShopRite and Safeway. By the end of 2021, Impossible Foods expects to have its nuggets available in more than 10,000 grocery stores.

Permalink to story.

Considering how utterly terrible chicken nuggets are in general, I'm not surprised at all that people find the plant based ones better.

I also genuinely enjoy the impossible burgers. If they could bring the price down I might choose them over regular meat on occasion.

Chicken nuggets are not exactly known for their amazing, hard-to-replicate texture and flavor, they should probably rebrand them as "Pretty difficult Nuggets" instead of "Impossible"

Considering how utterly terrible chicken nuggets are in general, I'm not surprised at all that people find the plant based ones better.

I also genuinely enjoy the impossible burgers. If they could bring the price down I might choose them over regular meat on occasion.

Here in NZ - the producers of nuggets make a big deal about nuggets being made from chicken breasts etc - as is common knowledge some USA ones are any old chicken protein - that probably has to be heated for a longtime ,enzymes added to soften - bashed around to make easier to consume .
NZ is a massive producer of meat - I still happy to see advances in other forms of protein .
I think as time goes on the Red meat/pork industries will be the most affected - who doesn't love lambs , piggies and Clarabel the Cow . Eggs and Chicken meat will be here for the long run - just more ethically farm and not anti-biotic mutants that can hardly walk . Add in insect protein etc

Add in insect protein etc
Eh, I still don't know how I feel about that. But I do genuinely enjoy the impossible meat. Not as a meat substitute but as it's own thing. It's made from soy, there is no reason it should cost 4x what beef does.

I love chicken nuggets! I look forward to trying these. I prefer vegetarian sausages to real versions generally so they might be onto something.

If eating grass is so great, then why do they need to make it taste like chicken and beef? I'm sure the meat flavoring is not natural either.

If I was meant to eat only plants, I wouldn't have been born with CANINE teeth.
You want to eat plants, fine, I don't care. More BACON, STEAK for me!

One day we'll look back and think why did we eat meat and waste all that land growing livestock and waste water.

Once economics makes synthetic meat/protein a possibility to be more affordable than animal meat then most consumers will switch. Meat will only be considered a treat or a luxury food item in the future.

One day we'll look back and think why did we eat meat and waste all that land growing livestock and waste water.
Not sure about where you live but in the UK 70% of farmland is only suitable for raising livestock so not really wasted.
Veggie nuggets - improving the wind factor of your meals!

Regular nuggets are bad enough.

I'd like to see an accurate ingredient list of these impossible products.

I don't trust the fake meat industry.

Not sure about where you live but in the UK 70% of farmland is only suitable for raising livestock so not really wasted.
Veggie nuggets - improving the wind factor of your meals!
I live in the UK. Israel grows fruit and veg indoors mate, so environment is not a factor. Farmland is purpose built, most of the Island of Britain was covered in Forests 500 years ago.

Why is it that many vegan/vegi foods have a name that implies meat... I mean if you want to eat vegetable's and nothing else all the power to you but why the names like no eggs benedict or impossible burger, meatless meatloaf ect...... call it what it is tofu, bean cake , ect

Why is it that many vegan/vegi foods have a name that implies meat... I mean if you want to eat vegetable's and nothing else all the power to you but why the names like no eggs benedict or impossible burger, meatless meatloaf ect...... call it what it is tofu, bean cake , ect
I'm sure it's for marketing purposes but I know what you mean. Calling it bland, generic names like bean curd, soybean paste or some such probably wouldn't sell very well. That said, they shouldn't call it "chicken" nuggets if it doesn't contain any chicken.

Just remember Hitler was a vegetarian..

Actually, he wasn't, at least not consistently. Google it.

It's made from soy, there is no reason it should cost 4x what beef does.

Because of many reasons: 1. Economics of supply and demand. 2. Subsidies to the meat industry. 3. "Tragedy of the commons" effect where the meat industry isn't paying the true cost of meat. 4. Profit and added expense to do R&D/marketing and such.

Back