In a bit of trouble with Mozilla Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

mukulika

Hi guys! Need a bit of help on this one.

Today in the morning, when I double clicked on Mozilla Firefox Icon on my desktop, I received the following error message :

"[Javascript Application]

Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570015 (NS_ERROR_XPC_CI_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.createInstance]" nsresult: "0x80570015 (NS_ERROR_XPC_CI_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://esnipsxpi/content/overlay.js :: anonymous :: line 72" data: no]"

When I clicked on "Ok", my homepage came up on the browser. I thought that there was some problem with the browser, so I uninstalled it, downloaded a fresh installation file and installed version 3.6.4.

However, since then I'm getting the following error every time I double click on the Firefox Icon.

"[Javascript Application]

TypeError: Components.classes[cid] is undefined"

The homepage does come on when I click on "OK" or cancel the window.

Can someone please tell me what the matter is? Any help would be great. :)

It is all too easy to end up with a mess in the java runtimes. Check out this http://raproducts.org/javara.html and see what it says. Use at your own risk, but I vaguely remember using this in the past and being surprised at how much 'java junk' was lying around. Also strongly recommend you use secunia PSI (take the PSI download button from this main page http://secunia.com/ )

Secunia will do a great job of advising you of vulnerabilities, unpatched programs and so forth on every package on your PC. It can often link you straight into the necessary update pages. An excellent free product, worthy of recognition.

One helpful tip, if you are in a habit of saving install downloads somewhere, like I do, secunia psi will find those too. Then if the original install has been updated directly witha patches, you will have an out-of-date install, but up-to-date application. Both showing in Secunia scan, and it can get a little confusing.

By the way, (for other readers of this post), always try to indicate the operating system you are using and it's patch level e.g. Windows XP home SP3. I see mukulika has done this in his specs, but I believe many people who could help fail to see this, so I tend to put it in the body of my query.

Thank you, Mr. Mailpup and Mr. Gbhall for your suggestions.

I have the latest java plugins installed. I downloaded JavaRa And Secunia and updated whatever programs they asked me to (Except for Picassa and Open Office, because the updates are too big and, I believe, beyond the scope of the current problem). I still have the same issue.

I do use Windows XP Pro SP2. :)

Thank you, Mr. Ritwik7 for your suggestions. I do not have AVG installed or any AVG plugin. I opened up regedit and did not find any such entry under Mozilla Firefox.

Hi guys! I think I have solved the problem. I found out a list of plugins that were creating problems with the new version of Firefox. esnips downloader seems to be a part of it. I disabled it, and things are running fine now. No more error messages! :D

However, it doesn't explain the error message that I got the first time. I had not installed any new plugins, and esnips downloader was installed on my PC since a pretty long time.

Anyway, thanks a ton for all the help. :)

By the way, the latest version of Firefox is 3.6.6. Yes, 3.6.4 came out just a few days ago but time marches on. Perhaps the new version will have fewer conflicts with your existing applications.

I had not installed any new plugins, and esnips downloader was installed on my PC since a pretty long time.

I don't know if this might apply to your case... but i used to use esnips myself for quite awhile until i happened to notice a couple months back that it started including and changing new things in the esnips toolbar (which i didn't like).

So it may or not have anything to do with esnips but just the fyi... (by the way i since changed to DropBox and i like it soooo much better. You can use it for public file sharing as well as to sync files between different machines. and as i recall its space allowance for free accounts is better then esnips as well

@ Mr. mailpup: Thank you for your suggestion. I have installed 3.6.6, but the problem seems to persist there as well. :)

@ Mr. LookinAround: Thanks a lot.

i happened to notice a couple months back that it started including and changing new things in the esnips toolbar

I suppose that's what started creating the problems. I really wouldn't know. :eek:
Thank you for the DropBox suggestion. Will check that out. :)

OH! I didn't even notice this before but i just happened to look at your original post again. Note your error message
"JS frame :: chrome://esnipsxpi/content/overlay.js :: anonymous :: line 72" data: no]"​

The error message specifically refers to the esnips addon!! You might also

> Uninstall esnips using Add/Remove Programs (The problem might have just been corruption, so can reinstall if you like or use DropBox)
> For future, also see Troubleshooting Firefox extensions and themes

@ Mr. LookinAround: Didn't notice that at all! My bad. I'm not really a computer geek or anything, so I didn't think that I'd be able to decipher the error message at all. Hence didn't really look properly. :eek:

I've checked out DropBox. Pretty neat. Thanks a lot for the suggestion and all the help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back