In Win D-Frame Case Review

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/677-inwin-dframe-red-case/]https://www.techspot.com/review/677-inwin-dframe-red-case/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Doesnt really look like a case for a smegalheims heatsink, I sure as hell wouldnt be going with any kind of air cooling in a case thats so open.

It does have the looks that say RIG. And so I see it as a gaming rig, with water cooling and colored coolant. Lights. All flashy. If you had of done something like that you would of helped sell this product.

I do not like the motherboard placement and how far in it looks like the connections are from the top, the glass getting in the way of what looks like slightly more discreet path to connect them through. So everything over the top and in. Cant really hide the cabling like that. Awful.

3/10

I'm always suspicious of non-metal/open cases. There's a reason why processors were traditionally enclosed in, what is essentially, a Faraday cage: to block electromagnetic radiation that could induce currents within the electronics.

I concede that how much impact the weak signals from the devices around one's home have is arguable. Particularly with ECC measures, and really, how great an error would one incorrect bit make? But really, better to err on the side of caution, no?

What about this case in a fish tank with mineral oil?

What about it ;)

Pretty cool case. I'm not into the red though. I'd paint it a matte black.

That would look great and I have to admit I would prefer it as well.

I'm always suspicious of non-metal/open cases. There's a reason why processors were traditionally enclosed in, what is essentially, a Faraday cage: to block electromagnetic radiation that could induce currents within the electronics.

I concede that how much impact the weak signals from the devices around one's home have is arguable. Particularly with ECC measures, and really, how great an error would one incorrect bit make? But really, better to err on the side of caution, no?

If there was even a remote chance of this being an issue we would have seen this and we haven't. I run 3-4 completely open test beds most days and can't say what you are talking about has been an issue. So quite sure you don't need to worry about it.

Doesnt really look like a case for a smegalheims heatsink, I sure as hell wouldnt be going with any kind of air cooling in a case thats so open.

It does have the looks that say RIG. And so I see it as a gaming rig, with water cooling and colored coolant. Lights. All flashy. If you had of done something like that you would of helped sell this product.

I do not like the motherboard placement and how far in it looks like the connections are from the top, the glass getting in the way of what looks like slightly more discreet path to connect them through. So everything over the top and in. Cant really hide the cabling like that. Awful.

3/10

Again we run plenty of systems in open air environments without any problems, it's an incentive to do more cleaning ;) The glass does not get in the way and I don't understand what your issue with the motherboard placement is, it works very well. You can hide the cables very easily and it looks great, not awful. Although it's completely opinion based 3/10 doesn't seem right for such a beautiful and unique product.

Sweet, a roll cage for a computer rig.
Easy to lug around if nothing else.

Actually seems like something that a DIYer could get their teeth into making if you had access to a set of mandrel tube benders, a MIG/TIG/Arc welding kit, some extruded acrylic/plexi, and a donor chassis (or scratch build a mobo tray and hdd caddies etc.)

Awesome. I just wouldnt want that laying around xD. Settling dust will be a big problem after a few weeks, especially with the PSU and GPUs exhausts sticking up. If you dont use the PC, dust will get into the GPU and PSU exhausts, but in relatively minor amounts.

This product is to show off your computer, not for those who assemble computers for using them.

Good luck cleaning dust from this contraption!

No kidding... that's what came to mind for me too. What will this thing look like after 6 months? Without careful and frequent cleaning you'll be looking at dust in every little crack all over your components. I wish there was an easy way to solve that because I like the look of it, and I'd bet it's a lot of fun to build.

No kidding... that's what came to mind for me too. What will this thing look like after 6 months? Without careful and frequent cleaning you'll be looking at dust in every little crack all over your components. I wish there was an easy way to solve that because I like the look of it, and I'd bet it's a lot of fun to build.

The GPU and PSU exhaust facing upwards with no protection is the issue.

I heard of this case awhile back, its a unique specimen to be sure of. Reminds me of my Lanboy air case except much more open. At least with this case, its easier to clean, but its going to get very dusty very fast.

Though this case has an amazing look to it, it would definitely be a piece to talk about at a LAN party for sure. I might get this for a friend for his birthday because he likes open air cases and this just says his name all over it.

...Nvm noticed the price...

How to build your own Gaming Rig.

Step One: Assemble the tower.

Wait, what?

It's a nice case, but I'd be more concerned about all kinds of airborne pathogens getting in the thing.

This product is to show off your computer, not for those who assemble computers for using them.

Good luck cleaning dust from this contraption!

Honestly guys I am pretty amazed by all the negative talk over dust :S How dirty is the room where you have your computer? As enthusiasts that read tech site content I would have just assumed that you clean out your PC at least once a year if not more. I know I feel a bit guilty if I go more than 6 months without hitting my system with some compressed air.

Speaking of which I have not had the case door on my system for about 2 years now and it's as clean as a whistle. MilwaukeeMike there is an easy way to solve it 'compressed air', common knowledge I know but it can turn the most dust infested PC into something that resembles what it looked like the day it was put together.

It's a nice case, but I'd be more concerned about all kinds of airborne pathogens getting in the thing.
You do realize that there isn't a conventional desktop computer that can keep out pathogens don't you?
If you're worried about germs getting into a computer (although I'm not sure how these types of virus are supposed to harm a computer...I'm pretty certain that a chassis won't turn into an incubator for Anthrax) then you may need to outfit both yourself and the computer with a suitable barrier...
suit-Response2.jpg

Is EMI shielding no longer a concern in computers? I'd be afraid to set my cell phone next to this chassis.

Like I said I have never ever had a problem with it, my mobile sits about a foot from an open chassis and its there all day most days.

Honestly guys I am pretty amazed by all the negative talk over dust :S How dirty is the room where you have your computer? As enthusiasts that read tech site content I would have just assumed that you clean out your PC at least once a year if not more. I know I feel a bit guilty if I go more than 6 months without hitting my system with some compressed air.

Speaking of which I have not had the case door on my system for about 2 years now and it's as clean as a whistle. MilwaukeeMike there is an easy way to solve it 'compressed air', common knowledge I know but it can turn the most dust infested PC into something that resembles what it looked like the day it was put together.

You're right, I'm probably biased because I have a negative pressure case (fans inside are blowing out) and it means that dust collects on every little crack where air could get sucked into the case and it makes for a chore to get it cleaned up. It's not so much that dust would get all over the place, just a bummer that you'd have to see it.

Don't get me wrong... I think this thing looks sweet. If I had the skill to build something out of metal with welding etc, I'd make some similar. The GPU noise would annoy me more than the dust, once those magnetic noise cancelling fans come out, we'll be all set!

That’s fair enough and I have had similar thoughts about building my own. The D-Frame really is an awesome bit of kit but it doesn’t suit my needs so I won’t be using our sample for long or at least as my main system. There simply are not enough hard drive bays for me but like you I have been inspired to build my own, at least to a certain extent.

I have all the gear and skill to weld stainless steel and thought about making one, I still might, it’s just a matter of finding the time and a little more motivation.

Hmm, while pretty cool idea (except red ghastly color) for me real bummer is that it doesn't support 10-11 PCI slots.

I will stick with DimasTech Easy XL. With optional modules it is easy to adapt it for anything: a test bench (really?), gaming rig, storage farm, F@H farm or bitcoin miner. Of course downer is that it isn't an aluminum (just like D-F), but on the upside it doesn't contain any glass. He, he.

As for dust build-up. While bench is not working DT provides really nice cover, and when it is running pressure from fans is enough to blow dust away. Normal PC, running in normal tower case needs cleaning once a year or so. I see no problem with doing that 2, maybe 3, times a year (in fairly dusty environment).

Oh and BTW: There is nothing more fun that assembling whole case on your own. It literally means you have built it from the scratch, not just put bits and pieces into ready made box. :)

My house is CONSTANTLY dirty. I have two kids, two dogs and and two cats. The last four shed hair like crazy and that hair is in every crevice in the house. I try my best to keep all of them out of my office where my tower's located, but reality sets in and somehow they all end up in there.

My current tower, an NZXT Phantom tower, had enough dust on one side to rival the dirt mounds in my front yard. No way will this case do a good job of keeping dirt or animal pathogens from my PC. It is a nice case, but an open case would effectively be the death knell of my PC (and it took me years to get the parts to build it).

Back