[Inactive] Do I have a virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmarkw

I am a retired RN and live in Pahrump, NV. I am not a tech with my computer; however I am not new to it either. My daughter and I actually built the last two of my computers. I just learn as I go. I call her my personal tech when it comes to something I do not understand. I am lost in Bios, etc. I return the favor and help friends when I can. My generation did was not introduced to computers until we were middle aged. I really respect your group and your time to help others.

Helllo and welcome. Your never too old to learn mate - Techspot is the ideal place for it too. On the whole, I've never had the priviledge of learning from such knowledgable peers before.

I love this place. :D

This is all a bit new to me

Preview
I have run the "clean-up" 8 step program you recommended. But I do not understand just what it all means. My computer is better but not running the best yet. Do I have a virus, etc. I have checked my Kaspersky program and do not run the spam with mail. That stops my activity when the send/receive is running. I have also repaired Microsoft Office 7. So I am not sure what to do next. Could you please look at my results and give me feedback ar your convenience. Thank you. Jmarkw

I know that I am behind in the times. But like you have told me, it is nevr to late to learn. Your program is all new and uses a vocabulary that I am not used to or have seen before. I know that I must send a zipped folder which I have ready to send. It could very well be that I have caught something with this machine and I do not really understand what the results mean.
Thanks,
jmarkw

Can someone explain to me what a "thread" is?
And how do I attach a zipped file.
jmarkw

A thread is this list of postings you are contributing to right now. the posts following the initial topic. to add your zip file, or any other , click on the paper clip (attachments) on the menu and browse for your file, click on 'open' and hit upload when you have the files attached that you want to add to your post.

Geez.......I also cannot locate the results for the dds log. I think that I am having a senior moment today.

8-step results:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4370

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

7/30/2010 8:51:00 AM
mbam-log-2010-07-30 (08-51-00).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 146921
Time elapsed: 12 minute(s), 16 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Attachments

• gmer.zip
    5 KB · Views: 0
Thank You Red 1716. I was able to send the attachment. I do not know exactly what I did as the attachment symbol does not always show up with this message box.

Thank You Red 1716. I was able to send the attachment. I do not know exactly what I did as the attachment symbol does not always show up with this message box.

Sure, glad it worked. a bit of advice about the senior moments....don't fight it:D

Helllo and welcome. Your never too old to learn mate - Techspot is the ideal place for it too. On the whole, I've never had the priviledge of learning from such knowledgable peers before.

I love this place. :D

Thank You

Maybe you can help me. I cannot recall where the dds logs were saved. I should have written it down, but I did not.

Sure, glad it worked. a bit of advice about the senior moments....don't fight it:D

I did not do this correctly the first time.
Thanks for your help. I did get the attachment uploaded. All of the symbols do not show up all the time. Thanks again.

I did not do this correctly the first time.
Thanks for your help. I did get the attachment uploaded. All of the symbols do not show up all the time. Thanks again.

I am still trying to locate the dds logs from the Clean-Up. At the time is seemed all too symple. It is bugging me now.

I have submitted the two reports that I could easily locate. Can anyone tell me just what they mean. Thank-You

DDS Logs:
Attachments included.

All of my reports have been posted. Can someone tell me if I have a problem with them. My computer does run better but is still not the way it should be. Thank You. jmarkw

Attachments

• DDS.zip
    4.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Attach.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 0
My 8 Step Clean Up

I must say that my computer is running much better since I did the Clean-UP and repaired Outloook 7. For some reason Kaspersky anti-spam and mail do not mix. I have to always check to make certain that is turned off. So I have located many of the problems. If someone has time to read the logs from the 8 Step process, I would really like to know if there is more that I should be doing. I do not know what they mean, esp. gmer, DDS, & Attach. I thank you for all you assistance.

Please, never zip any files.
Unzip GMER and both DDS files and attach them to your next reply.

Please, never zip any files.
Unzip GMER and both DDS files and attach them to your next reply.

The three attachments are below.
Thanks.

Attachments

• gmer.log
    81.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DDS.txt
    12.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Attach.txt
    16.4 KB · Views: 0
It will freeze for short period of time now. It used to just stop all together and I would have to reboot. This seems to be with all programs. Some messages with Outlook show up blank, ie empty of the junk folder. At least it goes faster than it did. I still have problems logging off as it says a file is open when there are none. If i just close down the computer a box will come up with a message that something did not close and I have no idea what the message or maybe email is. It is not anything that I am familiar with. Thus I have not worried about it. The clean up did marvelous things for this computer though.

Well, your computer is not necessarily infected, but it won't hurt, if we check :)

Please download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**
  1. Please, never rename Combofix unless instructed.
  2. Close any open browsers.
  3. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
    • Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
    • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.
    NOTE1. If Combofix asks you to install Recovery Console, please allow it.
    NOTE 2. If Combofix asks you to update the program, always do so.
    • Close any open browsers.
    • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
    • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
    • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.
  4. Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  5. When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  6. Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt"
**Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

Make sure, you re-enable your security programs, when you're done with Combofix.

DO NOT make any other changes to your computer (like installing programs, using other cleaning tools, etc.), until it's officially declared clean!!!

Well, your computer is not necessarily infected, but it won't hurt, if we check :)

Please download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**
  1. Please, never rename Combofix unless instructed.
  2. Close any open browsers.
  3. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
    • Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
    • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.
    NOTE1. If Combofix asks you to install Recovery Console, please allow it.
    NOTE 2. If Combofix asks you to update the program, always do so.
    • Close any open browsers.
    • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
    • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
    • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.
  4. Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  5. When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  6. Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt"
**Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

Make sure, you re-enable your security programs, when you're done with Combofix.

DO NOT make any other changes to your computer (like installing programs, using other cleaning tools, etc.), until it's officially declared clean!!!

I have attached the ComboFix Log

Attachments

• ComboFix.txt
    14.1 KB · Views: 1
Please, no need to quote my previous reply, so we have less clutter :)

Combofix log looks fine :)

Uninstall Combofix:
Go Start > Run [Vista users, go Start>"Start search"]
Type in:
Combofix /Uninstall
Note the space between the "Combofix" and the "/Uninstall"
Click OK (Vista users - press Enter).
Restart computer.

===================================================================

Download OTL to your Desktop.

* Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
* Under the Custom Scan box paste this in:

netsvcs
drivers32 /all
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
%systemroot%\system32\Spool\prtprocs\w32x86\*.dll
%systemroot%\system32\*.wt
%systemroot%\system32\*.ruy
%systemroot%\Fonts\*.com
%systemroot%\Fonts\*.dll
%systemroot%\system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86\*.tmp
%systemroot%\*. /mp /s
/md5start
/md5stop
CREATERESTOREPOINT
%systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
%systemroot%\system32\user32.dll /md5
%systemroot%\system32\ws2_32.dll /md5
%systemroot%\system32\ws2help.dll /md5
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\Results\Install|LastSuccessTime /rs

* Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows: OTL.txt and Extras.txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post them back here.

The reports are too long to send via copy/paste.
I no longer have the attachment symbo to use above this post. HELP How do I retrieve it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back