Indiana Time Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

larrybody

I live in the only state that Microsoft Windows has given it's only time zone (Indiana East). Well early this morning our clocks were moved ahead one hour. I have been going around reseting clocks, but when it comes to the computers I am not sure what time zone that should be entered. All I know is that we are now on East Coast time, something called Daylight Savings Time. Could someone who is familiar with this explain it to me.

Daylight savings time is where the clocks are moved forward by one hour for 6 months of the year (in the northern hemisphere, that's the summer/june/july side of the year). It's done to save the daylight for the working hours of the day, and is a throwback to agricultural times.

Double click the clock in the task bar, go to the timezone tab, and if Dayligt savings time is not applicable where you live, uncheck its box on the bottom, apply, and ok.

Which Time Zone

My question is if I should leave th time zone as Indiana East, which has no check box for Daylight Saving Time or should I change to Eastern Standrad Time? If there anyone from Indiana that knows what is going on?

You can leave it in the Indiana East Time zone and then just set the PC clock ahead 1 hour so that it is at the correct local again. The Day Light Savings check box just automatically moves the clock ahead for you and then gives you a message box the next time you use the PC telling you it has done so and to confirm this ok. It's sort of a "Do you want to enable DLS?" If yes, then check the box and I'll take care of changing the time for you when the event occurs 6 moonths from now.

As you said I guess Indiana East was never part of the DLS before, (weird) so by default the check box for DLS was not enabled.

Cheers.

Indiana East is done with - we've lost it because of the folks complaining about how it hurts businesses. From now on this area will be Eastern TimeZone. I'm sure we'll eventually see the option disappear from future revisions of windows. Use EST - observe daylight savings. If you have multiple machines to change (on a domain) there is a patch+script from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=914837

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back