Install old HD in another computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I would like to install my old HD (Vista premium 32) to another computer that also has a windows (vista Home basic) installed on its HD.
I want to use both HD in this computer just changing the boot.
I´ve installed both HD and the setup has recognized both, but when I try start my old HD , it always ask me to repair the windows , because it cant start.
I ran the windows repair but it didn't work.
I don't want to format my old HD because I have a lot of good programs installed on that.
Is there some way to solve this problem?
Thanks in advance.

Dungol

I know it was working but does it still do? Maybe it got corrupted somehow when you placed the new harddisk in, remove the new harddisk and see if the old one boots up alone again.

I already tried each one alone, but just the Hd that was installed in this computer is working.
This is my story.
I was in United States, and traveled to Brazil.Then I removed my hard drive from my computer and took it to Brazil.
Now I am trying to install my HD in my mom´s computer in Brazil, that already has a windows vista basic installed.
I don't want to loose my programs because I am going to install it back in my computer in United States.

"but just the Hd that was installed in this computer is working." So your HD (Premium) doesn't work alone aswell, that's what I understood. But the Basic one works alone, and works when you put both aswell, but the Premium one doesnt work alone, and it doesn't work when it's together with the Basic one aswell. Can the comp over there be 64 by any chance?

Hmm, I see.. I guess you wouldn't be lucky enough to have your Vista CD with you? :p I'd suggest a repair if you can find a CD from anywhere, else we'll have to think of something else.

I have my backup cd that I created in the first time that I turned on my computer, but it just let me install a new windows.Doesn't have a repair option.

Hmm, how about (not a good solution, and doubt it works in Vista) but you could boot from the Basic one, and open a new partition in your Premium HD by using diskpart (again I'm talking for XP sadly, I will look into it though), install new windows on the new partition, then clone the programs from your Premium HD's first partition where got your all the programs by using norton ghost or a similar program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back