Install windows xp on my Advent Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Advent laptop 7083 but I lost 2 recovery disk. When I trying to install windows XP on this laptop, the setup process cannot access the harddisk. The error is:

38154 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi
(Setup cannot access this disk.)

I think the WinXP setup disk doesnot contain IDE controller of this computer, so can anyone help me or send me the driver of this.

the IDE controller or generic should be inherent to the mobo BIOS. For larger capacity hds, it is with SP2. So I would assume your HD is bad. replace it and retry.

I think my HD is good because I can install Win 98 ME and working normaly, I think my problem is driver of my HD. help me please !!!

try formatting with your 98 disk then instead of installing 98 stick in the XP disk.

seems like you have done some thing to the filing system. try and rebuild the drive in another computer then install XP

When I use this hard disk on another IBM computer, I can install XP on it.
I replaced a new hard disk to this Advent computer, and I still can not install XP
so I think this problem is driver ... Help me !!!

Reset Your Bios back to factory Defaults think there has being a option changed for your sata or IDE controller.

Check the Advent webiste for your laptop model, under support / downloads sections see if there is a Driver for your HDD/Controller. If so, download that and copy/extract it to a floppy disk. During Windows setup press F6 when it prompts you for 3rd party drivers and insert your floppy disk with the drivers on it. Its possible that your Laptops HDD is set either SATA, set up with RAID or uses a non-standard controller, either way Windows will not have a native driver for it.

If your laptop does not have a built in floppy drive then you'll need to borrow/aquire a USB one from somewhere. I haven't had much success getting windows setup to recognise USB Memory Sticks :(

Of course, as mentioned previously you should reset your BIOS back to factory settings and check the Hard Drive setup page to make sure it is in basic mode and not configured for RAID.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back