Installing Windows 7 over Windows 8

Hey im looking at buying a new laptop as the one im using now is my mums and I want my own but the one im looking at has windows 8 on it and I always loved using windows 7 so im just wonding if I brought a windows 7 disc and installed it would that would or reinstalling windows 7 on a windows 8 system wouldn't work

Should work. When Vista came out and people were displeased, a lot of people tried to put XP on them. Many ran into a lot of driver issues, so before you do this, I would strongly urge you to check into the availability of Windows 7 drivers.

I don't think the 8->7 downgrade will carry near (any?) of the driver issues like we saw with Vista -> XP, but it is better to just spend a few minutes checking than it is hours of searching the web for similar problems when you have a laptop that certain things aren't working right on.

Thanks for your help SNGX1275 I check the laptop when I buy it but the model im after they dont sell them in Australia so I gotta buy one offline in the USA but from what I hear it is a great laptop

I'd be inclined to buy it and give Windows 8 a trial. Install a Start button with freeware like Classic Shell from the off. If you don't like Windows 8 I reckon Windows 7 should install OK but as mentioned it pays to be careful. I'm running both OS's on the same computer with two hard drives.

Back