Installing XP took a day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sag12

Installing XP took a day!!! I am installing XP from a restore desk on a Dell Dimension 2400 to a brand new hard drive. It is running 512MB ram. Now being it is taking that long to install, and mind you it is taking just as long to install the drivers from the driver desk, I was told it could be that the CPU is bad or going bad. Is this true?

Hi, its not true that the CPU is going bad, unless if u check bios reports, and the give an error related to that, i think u need to run yo diagnostics cd to see if u get any errors in the system but personally i think its your cd / DVD rom that is getting old.
Anyway try checking the bios report and makes sure that you ram is fitted in right, and do some maintenance like dust blowing, etc.
Hope that helps, but also make sure u include the full spec of yo machine, like Ram, Process, HDD, Motherboad model etc.

Thanks

Thank you will do. Let me check some more things out. I have blown out all the dust even in the USB. Tried two different cd drives. I have not swap the mem yet. Let me try that next.

Check in the Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers to see if any have reverted to the slower PIO mode. If so, change them back to DMA mode.

Thanks

Thank you will do. Let me check some more things out. I have blown out all the dust even in the USB. Tried two different cd drives. I have not swap the mem yet. Let me try that next.

Hey

If windows setup is taking too long remove the modem card (PCI Card)form the computer and then start the installation again- It should work fine- Alos before u start the installation access Bios - Integrated devices- Turn off sound & Network and change usb emulation to No boot and then start the installation- It will work fine..

Hope this will help you..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back