Integrated Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!

My first time writing on this forum, unfortunatly I have more to say than just "hi"

My friend just bought a new PC. To be specific a HP Pavillion a810n. It has an Asus K8S-MX MoBo in it with integrated video graphics SIS 128 shared memory. He has an Nvidia GeForce 5200 128MB PCI card he wants to put in it. The problem is I can't find how to turn the integrated video off. I have looked in the BIOS and it gives no option to turn integrated video off. I have looked up the manuals online for the Mobo to see about the jumpers maybe turning it off, again it had no description at all on how to do so, just everything in between. I even tried unistalling the current video drivers, but again no luck. I'm at my wits end. I even called up for help but they were no help, it seemed they were trying to convince me that there "was no problem" and tried throwing "funny" jokes at me about how his name was Raymond like on T.V. >.<

So I said all that to say this, CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE?!
I can't think of any other info to provide atm, if you need more just let me know. At this point I know just about everything except how to solve this stupid problem.

LancGuit

Alrite usually to disable the integrated graphics you can go into the bios of the motherboard and do it but since you have already tried that here is another solution, in most motherboards when you plug a card into the AGP slot it automatically recognizes a video card and turns off the integrated graphics. But since you said it is a PCI graphics card i am not too sure if that will happen. Have you tried installing the video card and putting in the drivers to see if it get disabled automatically?? Let me know if that works out for you. :wave:

I had a really rubbish S3 integrated graphics, KM133 with 32MB memory, and I turned it off by using BIOS and setting AGP/PCI priority to AGP, which for you would be PCI, trust me its not that complicated

well can you change the shred video memory/video apeture like to 32/64/128 if yes then there should be an option to set it to disabled or something.also check gor an optio of init display first set that to pci to make it the primary video device on bootup,that should do the trick.

Problem Solved

I did try and install the Nvidia drivers after the card was in. I had no luck unfortanutly. But, it turns out that for windows XP you can go to run and type in msconfig. From there everything was to be switched off. I guess somewhere in there it turned off integrated video.

In the BIOS it had an option to switch the memory of the video 32/64/128, but still there was no on/off switch for integrated video. And I switched from PCI main port and AGP/integrated video as main port several times. Its default was originally PCI.

Thanks for your help guys. I will be back with any other problems I may have.

"tried throwing "funny" jokes at me about how his name was Raymond like on T.V. >.<" You don't know how bored their jobs are. :) I loved the one about Ray's dairy & his bro's decoy and real daires.

Unfortunately, many new mobos do not have the option to turn off onboard video. It's either PCI/AGP switch. I'd say PCI since the 5200 is PCI. Set onboard video to 32mb.

Don't remove items in msconfig. Let XP load both drivers. In display prop, advanced, monitor, select the 5200 card. Set it also in games if asked. Yes, there can be multiple cards installed and in the window. And mutiple monitors. Like my ATI supports 2 monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back