Intel announces 28-Core CPU and 5GHz Core i7-8086K at Computex

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Intel has been showing off some of its new products at Computex, including the Core i7-8086K anniversary CPU that some retailers began listing last week, and a monstrous 28-core single-socket processor.

Intel is only making 50,000 of the Core i7-8086K chips, which arrive 40 years after the release of its 8086 processor. The company says the six-core/12-thread CPU would be its first ever to reach a 5.0GHz turbo frequency without overclocking.

The processor comes with a base clock speed of 4.0GHz, making it 300MHz faster than the Core i7-8700K's base and single-core turbo frequencies. It’s expected that the Core i7-8086K will have the same 95W TDP rating.

As Intel’s 50th anniversary draws near (June 18), it is giving away 8,086 Core i7-8086K through a sweepstake on its website. Participants can register for a chance to win in two days’ time, but you’ll only have 24 hours to enter.

Intel didn’t announce how much the chip would cost, though the competition website lists its average retail price as $425. The processors will ship on June 6.

But the announcement that’s getting most of the attention is Intel's high-end desktop processor (HEDT) that comes with an incredible 28 cores and 56 threads. Gregory Bryant, senior vice president and general manager of the client computing group at Intel, showed the chip running at 5GHz across all cores and scoring 7334 multi-core points in Cinebench. As a comparison, the 18-core/36-thread Core i9-7980XE scored around 5000 points.

Intel only teased the chip—no details on the name, architecture or process—but we can expect it to be considerably more expensive than the $1999 Core i9-7980XE. It plans to sell the CPU before the end of the year Update: Intel has come up saying the chip showcase was just that, not a future product.

News of both chips overshadowed Intel’s announcement on its upcoming Amber Lake Y-series and Whiskey Lake U-series CPUs. Both still use Intel’s 14nm++ technology, and while Whiskey Lake will consume around 15 watts, Amber Lake’s 4.5 watts is designed for ultra-low power devices. They will arrive in more than 70 new laptops and 2-in-1s this fall, and offer double-digit performance improvements over the current generation of chips. Additionally, Intel said the new X-series and next-generation S-series processors are coming to desktops later in 2018.

Permalink to story.

$2000 was too cheap for a top-of-the-line CPU.... I'm glad they're making a more expensive one... I REALLY hope that Threadripper still kicks its @ss in productivity so we can laugh at those who actually buy the 28 core monster...

"incredible 28 cores and 56 threads ... showed the chip running at 5GHz across all cores ..."

What? That can't be right. Surely that is a one or two core boost frequency. 28 cores/ 56 threads, all at 5 GHz would be impressive if true. The Core i9-7980XE is "only" 18 core / 36 thread and maxes out at 3.4 GHz across all cores. A 64% boost in core/thread count AND a 68% in frequency at the same time sounds too good to be true.

"incredible 28 cores and 56 threads ... showed the chip running at 5GHz across all cores ..."

What? That can't be right. Surely that is a one or two core boost frequency. 28 cores/ 56 threads, all at 5 GHz would be impressive if true. The Core i9-7980XE is "only" 18 core / 36 thread and maxes out at 3.4 GHz across all cores. A 64% boost in core/thread count AND a 68% in frequency at the same time sounds too good to be true.

The cinebench screen shots did suggests all cores were running at 5Ghz

It's possible...just expect to have a super-high TDP that makes AMD's FX-9000 series chips look like ice cubes, & possibly even a socket change (because it'll almost certainly be bigger than the LGA 2066 CPUs).

EDIT: Per Tom's Hardware (https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-sabre-15-17-price-specs,37204.html), the system was apparently using a closed-loop cooling solution that also included insulation on the cooling pipes themselves; they were unable to see the cooler itself (apparently kept under the table), so they weren't sure if it was just water-cooling or some sort of multi-phase unit. They also noted that the RAM was mounted on either side of the CPU, so they wonder if it's using the LGA 3647 socket (FYI, that's a huge socket, as this comparison vs. a Xeon D Socket BGA 1667 shows: https://www.servethehome.com/big-sockets-look-intel-lga-3647/).

Bottom-line: they had to utilize very specialized cooling to achieve these speeds (the kind that 99.9999% of PC gamers/enthusiasts, let alone the general public, will never use), & it means a fairly large CPU that most likely will be super-expensive -- as in approaching the annual IRA contribution limits for US taxpayers in size.

Last edited:
Finally they are showing us what we should have got years ago. 28 cores for a desktop is great, now to mirror this or at least provide half that number in a laptop. Competition is the only way corporations will bring out their current technology, unless we start legislating against saving tech for later and maximising profits ahead of technology advancement. Companies will make their profit either way and reduce a lot of waste if they just release their best tech now rather than later. As a society we could advance so much quicker if profit wasn't number one. I realise this is probably not the right audience for this type of rant... I want the latest tech when it is available, not when a company thinks it is most profitable. I also want built in obsolescence to be outlawed, make the best products we can and optimise the use of our worlds resources. I remember when I could buy a washing machine that would last 30+ years, lucky to last 5 now.

Finally they are showing us what we should have got years ago. 28 cores for a desktop is great, now to mirror this or at least provide half that number in a laptop. Competition is the only way corporations will bring out their current technology, unless we start legislating against saving tech for later and maximising profits ahead of technology advancement. Companies will make their profit either way and reduce a lot of waste if they just release their best tech now rather than later. As a society we could advance so much quicker if profit wasn't number one. I realise this is probably not the right audience for this type of rant... I want the latest tech when it is available, not when a company thinks it is most profitable. I also want built in obsolescence to be outlawed, make the best products we can and optimise the use of our worlds resources. I remember when I could buy a washing machine that would last 30+ years, lucky to last 5 now.

Yeah, I don't see that coming to a laptop anytime soon. Even though there are LGA 3647 mATX motherboards out there (https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/), you'll notice the socket takes up a huge chunk of the motherboard. And you're talking $500-1000 USD for an ATX or mATX motherboard, on top of the CPU price (https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=+X11SPM-TF&N=-1&isNodeId=1, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145047). Plus you're probably talking at least 200W TDP, if not more, for the CPU even without overclocking -- & this was definitely overclocked. But there are no Xeon-based mobile CPUs...& with the limited onboard cooling options for laptops, assuming Intel even comes up with a mobile version, you'll have the choice of huge # of cores/low base & Turbo frequencies or low # of cores/4-5GHz base & Turbo frequencies, but not both in a laptop.

It's possible...just expect to have a super-high TDP that makes AMD's FX-9000 series chips look like ice cubes, & possibly even a socket change (because it'll almost certainly be bigger than the LGA 2066 CPUs).

EDIT: Per Tom's Hardware (https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-sabre-15-17-price-specs,37204.html), the system was apparently using a closed-loop cooling solution that also included insulation on the cooling pipes themselves; they were unable to see the cooler itself (apparently kept under the table), so they weren't sure if it was just water-cooling or some sort of multi-phase unit. They also noted that the RAM was mounted on either side of the CPU, so they wonder if it's using the LGA 3647 socket (FYI, that's a huge socket, as this comparison vs. a Xeon D Socket BGA 1667 shows: https://www.servethehome.com/big-sockets-look-intel-lga-3647/).

Bottom-line: they had to utilize very specialized cooling to achieve these speeds (the kind that 99.9999% of PC gamers/enthusiasts, let alone the general public, will never use), & it means a fairly large CPU that most likely will be super-expensive -- as in approaching the annual IRA contribution limits for US taxpayers in size.
Good info there. If Intel is going to extra lengths to get all cores to 5GHz, it tells me that they are worried about something - perhaps enthusiasts not swallowing yet another overly-expensive CPU? Or could it be that they are worried about what AMD has in store with Zen+ or Zen2? Or both?

Personally, if I were going to pay that much for a CPU, I think I would go with the 32 core EPYC instead.

In any event, it is nice that there is competition in the CPU market again.

So 14nm is definitely improved from Broadwell, but I do notice the lack of a TDP. But we all know it's a 125w 6x4/5GHz chip.

I know that sounds impressive, but it's only ~10% increase over what they already have. Consider Ryzen 2 is the same thing lol.

Here comes the 4.6GHs 2800X....

There is nothing "incredible" with 28 cores. Intel already have several 28 core CPUs available. Also Intel didn't say that chip will be running 5 GHz all cores. Several sites just didn't realize those 5 GHz and 28 cores were separate things.

Intel said they will release 28 core CPU that can go up to 5 GHz turbo. That 5 GHz all core CPU was overclocked chip just for show and they won't release 28 core CPU with 5 GHz all core frequency this year.

There is nothing "incredible" with 28 cores. Intel already have several 28 core CPUs available. Also Intel didn't say that chip will be running 5 GHz all cores. Several sites just didn't realize those 5 GHz and 28 cores were separate things.

Intel said they will release 28 core CPU that can go up to 5 GHz turbo. That 5 GHz all core CPU was overclocked chip just for show and they won't release 28 core CPU with 5 GHz all core frequency this year.

Or that the 8086K is 4GHz when using all cores lol

$2000 was too cheap for a top-of-the-line CPU.... I'm glad they're making a more expensive one... I REALLY hope that Threadripper still kicks its @ss in productivity so we can laugh at those who actually buy the 28 core monster...

At the price point it's likely going to come in at, it will more likely be competing with EPYC. I'm willing to bet that adding 10 cores to their top of the line HEDT processor is going to require a socket change.

It does. That many cores at 5 GHz would consume an insane amount of power. The 8700K for comparison can consume up to 200w at 5 GHz. That's just the CPU and with only 6 cores. Do the math, that's 933 watts for a 28 core CPU! That would fry every Intel HEDT VRM on the market. It's not like Intel is just going to pull 100% additional performance per watt at 5 GHz out of their butt when this CPU is likely based on their current architecture and Intel themselves have given dismal reports on their upcoming node shrinks.

This was more meant to be flashy. I'd advise people to tamp their expectations until official price and specs are released.

EDIT*

Just read AnandTech's article on this. It appears that the power requirements are indeed hefty. The motherboard Intel was using has a 29 phase design and the socket is massive. That amount of power phases blows away Intel's current offerings and will likely cost a pretty penny to implement.

Last edited:

Yep. Custom insulated loop with a water chiller. Custom motherboard with a 29-phase power design and addition power connectors. Copper VRM heatsink with 3 fans. This wasm't meant to be a retail example, it more like what you should expect if you are a professional overclocker. It's made to show off.

I would still like to see a retail example of this chip in action though as it will become Intel's new flagship HEDT.

I find it amusing that people are comparing this to threadripper. TR is consumer grade and this is clearly professional/enthusiast. The buyers are completely different people. I imagine very few people will spend their own money on an i9.

And if you compare their performance Intels chips humiliate threadripper when compared on a core for core basis. I have no doubt this 28 core will wreck the 32 core TR. Of course it should do given that it will cost more than twice as much.

saving tech for later and maximising profits ahead of technology advancement. Companies will make their profit either way and reduce a lot of waste if they just release their best tech now rather than later. As a society we could advance so much quicker if profit wasn't number one. I realise this is probably not the right audience for this type of rant... I want the latest tech when it is available, not when a company thinks it is most profitable. I also want built in obsolescence to be outlawed, make the best products we can and optimise the use of our worlds resources. I remember when I could buy a washing machine that would last 30+ years, lucky to last 5 now.
Is there a right audience for that much double talk...? Because I really can't conceive of one.

You, "want, want, want, want want", newer faster stuff every year, but you don't want obsolescence, and you want it when you think you're entitled to it, because after all, you're the only consumer that matters.

I find it amusing that people are comparing this to threadripper. TR is consumer grade and this is clearly professional/enthusiast. The buyers are completely different people. I imagine very few people will spend their own money on an i9.

And if you compare their performance Intels chips humiliate threadripper when compared on a core for core basis. I have no doubt this 28 core will wreck the 32 core TR. Of course it should do given that it will cost more than twice as much.

Useless speculation because Intel won't release 5 GHz 28 core CPU this year.

Erhhh that's not true at all. Due to AMD using multiple dies, they really don't have to clock the chips much lower at higher core counts. Go look up some comparisons, eventually AMD starts EXCEEDING Intel's per-core performance; and they do it while usually using half the energy.

The only time Intel is ahead is in limited applications where they have a similar core count to AMD and overclock a sh*t ton. But I don't consider 10% wins while using double the energy and a larger die size as a "win."

Sure buddy, just like TR was humiliated in the first round /s

https://www.techspot.com/review/1465-amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-1920x/

Ops, did I just do a comparison from this very website that contrasts your radical view? My bad.

Back