Intel announces Atom processor redesign, code-named Silvermont

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Intel on Monday released details about their upcoming Atom processor redesign, code-named Silvermont. The 22-nanometer SoC, said to deliver three times the performance while consuming five times less power versus current Atom chips, will be the first in a family of yearly refreshes designed to make Atom processors more competitive with the rest of the market.

Intel’s Belli Kuttanna noted in a recent press briefing that Silvermont isn’t just a tweak of the previous design. Instead, it’s a fundamentally new design that includes many features found in Intel’s Core line of desktop processors like 3D Tri-gate transistor technology. What’s more, we are told that Silvermont chips will be available with up to eight processing cores – a number that has eluded smartphone and tablet consumers in the US thus far.

intel atom redesign atom processor

One of the key design elements that gives Silvermont an advantage over current Atom processors is the out-of-order execution pipeline. As PCWorld explains, chips based on Bonnell and Saltwell must wait for input data to perform a program instruction. Silvermont chips, however, can skip ahead to parts of the next instructions that can be executed immediately. This means that the chip should never sit idle without a workload.

Other noteworthy features include support for 256-bit AES encryption and decryption, an improved random number generator that’s more resistant to attack, additional virtual machine functions that security software can call on, seven new instructions used to process large data sets and 47 other instructions that cover things like memory access and media acceleration.

Intel has a solid shot at becoming a major player in the mobile sector here with Silvermont if they are able to deliver everything they claim.

Permalink to story.

Good... I was wondering how that new Acer tablet was going to run Windows 8 on an Atom and give 8 hrs of battery life.

And I'm glad to see Intel hasn't abandoned their wealthy country club-esque pretentious sounding model names. Clearly a processor for the sophisticated gentleman.

Good... I was wondering how that new Acer tablet was going to run Windows 8 on an Atom and give 8 hrs of battery life.

And I'm glad to see Intel hasn't abandoned their wealthy country club-esque pretentious sounding model names. Clearly a processor for the sophisticated gentleman.

Haha exactly.

"... while consuming five times less power ..."

So, does that mean the redesigned chips will be net power producers?

It says 3 times the performance WHILE consuming 5 times less power.

"The 22-nanometer SoC, said to deliver three times the performance while consuming five times less power versus current Atom chips."

Well, I think that if Intel had used 'Xor' instead of 'Or' they'd have saved controversy. :p

Yep, just one or the other but not both at once; that would be clear and would end the expeculation about both being possible at the same time or just one of them. To me it seems pretty much like just one of them at the same time.

It says 3 times the performance WHILE consuming 5 times less power.

"The 22-nanometer SoC, said to deliver three times the performance while consuming five times less power versus current Atom chips."
Doesn't matter what the author thought, if those Intel slides are correct then it is either one or the other; not both at same time.

Back