Intel brings back "I'm a Mac" actor for M1-mocking commercials

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? In addition to his movie roles, you may recognize actor Justin Long as the "I'm a Mac" guy from Apple's "Get a Mac" commercials that were so popular in the mid-2000s. He's now back in a similar ad campaign. This time, though, he's mocking Apple's products while highlighting the benefits of owning a PC.

Intel's new ads begin with Long in front of the familiar white background seen in Apple's old commercials. He starts with "Hello, I'm a... Justin," before listing the M1 Macs' shortcomings.

One ad compares the flexibility of an Intel 2-in-1 (Lenovo Yoga 9i) to a MacBook Pro, noting the former's ability to work as both a traditional laptop and a tablet. The ad implies similar functionality within Apple's ecosystem would require an iPad, keyboard, stylus, and a dongle.

Another commercial features someone gaming on a Core i7-powered MSI Gaming Stealth 15M, noting that "no one games on a Mac." Apple's computers are also mocked for their Touch Bars, lack of touchscreens and M1 multi-monitor support, and the color choices of "gray and grayer."

The positive reception to Apple's M1 chip saw Intel launch a public offensive against Cupertino, starting with a series of "Go PC" ads in February that boasted only PCs could "power a rocket launch and launch Rocket League."

Intel wasn't the first company to use an actor from the "I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC" commercials. John Hodgman reprised his role as the PC guy to boast about M1 performance during Apple's announcement of the SoC.

Permalink to story.

Don’t bother with either, just buy an iPad. Unless you specifically need either operating system for a certain bit of software.

Don’t bother with either, just buy an iPad. Unless you specifically need either operating system for a certain bit of software.
I bothered with my iPad Pro for a long time.
No, thank you, my time and nerves are much more valuable for me that wasting time trying to bend (pun intended) iPad limited software and OS to do some work.
Might go for a new iPad Pro soon (if it's not the same model as it was in 2018/2020), but let's be real, the new iPad Pro ending up as another Netflix machine is a sound backup plan.

To the ads - I bet the Youtube comments are full of AMD and M1 fans feasting on an Intel's dead corpse (understandably IMHO).

It makes me wonder what funny video that Maddox will make this time. About fourteen years ago when those "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" commercials were still kinda relevant, he did this hilarious parody of it (Yes, all these years later and I still remembered it well enough to find it immediately):
This video does a great job of showing just how stupid those commercials were then and whatever he comes up with will point out how stupid Intel's commercials are now.

Last edited:
I used to like Apple. But since the started integrating components. I now feel the right to repair is gone unless you know soldering which is a big risk. I’m willing to bet that SSD’s are going to be the first component to fail in the macs. Apple will probably charge $400 to replace it. But if it wasn’t integrated I would be able to buy a new one for about $40-80 and put it in.

I used to like Apple. But since the started integrating components. I now feel the right to repair is gone unless you know soldering which is a big risk. I’m willing to bet that SSD’s are going to be the first component to fail in the macs. Apple will probably charge $400 to replace it. But if it wasn’t integrated I would be able to buy a new one for about $40-80 and put it in.
That's not quite how it goes.

The soldered on SSD necessitates a complete mobo replacement, which if it's out of warranty is something like $1K. But SSDs don't fail in Macs much and the rare times they do, it's early, under warranty. Most often it's damage done by the user - drops, water spills, etc. Frankly we don't see the Mac components fail, other than the ones that Apple failed to design properly in the first place and were forced to replace free under extended warranties: the butterfly keyboard, and a few screen issues (orange blotches).

FWIW, I have a number of 10+ year old Macs which still work, free hand me downs from upgraders and in retrospect the best thing Apple designed in the past 12 years was the Unibody chassis. If people haven't dropped them, they still look and feel like brand new computers over a decade later.

But thicker.

I have several machines with SSDs in them, mostly PCs, and not a single SSD has failed. Some of them are 5+ years old. SSDs can and do fail but usually under heavy write loads.

You must really hate the new MS Surface. I've seen "tear-down" videos and you practically have to tear it apart to get it open.

I think the ad is funny but like many ads is a bit misleading. And, Windows as a tablet? No thanks.

My gooooodnesssss they all suck!!!

At least the I'm a Mac commercials were funny.

And real person... yeah right...

To the ads - I bet the Youtube comments are full of AMD and M1 fans feasting on an Intel's dead corpse (understandably IMHO).

Where and how is intel dead? Why do people keep thinking just because AMD is making better CPU's that intel is suddenly on their way to bankruptcy? You can buy nearly every CPU intel makes while you can only buy the 5600x and the makes-no-sense at the price 5800x. I was lucky enough to get a 5950x shortly after launch, but they've been unavailable for months and during the short windows they were available they were marked up 50%.

Finally for intel's full-year financial revenue thye set an all-time Intel record of $77.9 billion. Which is also 8% percent better than the previous year. AMD may be dominating the DYI market with CPU's no one can or should buy (except the 5600x) that market is much smaller than the pre-built and server markets which intel still dominates even with lower core count components.

I have several machines with SSDs in them, mostly PCs, and not a single SSD has failed. Some of them are 5+ years old. SSDs can and do fail but usually under heavy write loads.

You must really hate the new MS Surface. I've seen "tear-down" videos and you practically have to tear it apart to get it open.

I have a Razer Blade 15 from 2019 and I was able to replace the 512GB Samsung with a 2TB Intel 660p SSD. The upgrade to the 2TB cost me as much as Apple charges for an additional 256GB of storage.

Where and how is intel dead? Why do people keep thinking just because AMD is making better CPU's that intel is suddenly on their way to bankruptcy? You can buy nearly every CPU intel makes while you can only buy the 5600x and the makes-no-sense at the price 5800x. I was lucky enough to get a 5950x shortly after launch, but they've been unavailable for months and during the short windows they were available they were marked up 50%.

Finally for intel's full-year financial revenue thye set an all-time Intel record of $77.9 billion. Which is also 8% percent better than the previous year. AMD may be dominating the DYI market with CPU's no one can or should buy (except the 5600x) that market is much smaller than the pre-built and server markets which intel still dominates even with lower core count components.
Dead in terms of being attractive for buyers and new generations.
No one argues that Intel has a lot of influence in AIO and prebuild systems, but in custom build systems, where the user choses components, they are loosing in a big way - at least in Europe.
It's kinda baffling I have to "write it with more words". But on the other hand, it's hard to care if someone reads my post literally as "intel is dead".

All that anyone needs to know about Apple and their stance on Right-to-Repair can be found on Louis Rossmann's YouTube channel:

That's not quite how it goes.

The soldered on SSD necessitates a complete mobo replacement, which if it's out of warranty is something like $1K. But SSDs don't fail in Macs much and the rare times they do, it's early, under warranty. Most often it's damage done by the user - drops, water spills, etc. Frankly we don't see the Mac components fail, other than the ones that Apple failed to design properly in the first place and were forced to replace free under extended warranties: the butterfly keyboard, and a few screen issues (orange blotches).

FWIW, I have a number of 10+ year old Macs which still work, free hand me downs from upgraders and in retrospect the best thing Apple designed in the past 12 years was the Unibody chassis. If people haven't dropped them, they still look and feel like brand new computers over a decade later.

But thicker.

I don't think you can use your personal experience as evidence "most often it's damage done by the user" I have a Macbook pro I used every saturday to type of a report while I was eating breakfast at a restaurant. I never used that computer for anything else. Once Covid hit and that restaurant closed I only used that computer twice and the second time I look it out of its case to see if I remembered the password the right side of the touch bar, which I would have never selected if it was optional, no longer displayed anything. I took it to Apple and they told it it would cost $1500 to fix it and it would just be better if I bought a new laptop. I sent an email to a repair service and they told it would cost $350 to replace the module.

Apple designed many of these computer to run at 90-100 degrees celsius and Apple can and will refuse to fix a computer if it's been used in a humid environment which can set off the liquid sensors. Apple wasn't going to fix replace the touchbar with a new one they were just going to replace everything and I would have lost all my settings and data if it wasn't backed up.

"If people haven't dropped them, they still look and feel like brand new computers over a decade later." Nearly everything looks and feels like brand new if it's taken care of.

Get the popcorn out soon Apple will have Nvidia cpu inside! I'll take any royalties on the N1 naming!

This showing Intel is having very big worry about M1 chip. It is AMD that is taking Intel market share. Apple maybe have 5% market share. Intel decision to target Apple is making little sense, but I like actor very handsome and funny.

Funny Ad...AMD ? I'm STILL pissed after Their debut in Detroit Years back (nothing worked /no Consols no Displays not even the Mints were good)....anybody ? I pad ? Don't Women wear those every Month ? (sorry Girls but You can't be fixed , just like an Apple ) .....Xbox ? I used Their proprietary connectors in My HACKED Dell 9020 XCR8D Gaming Pc ( Yes , it works VERY WELL ) I was going to use an AMD cpu but I like the Attic cool...nuff said

Last edited:
Back