Intel Core i3-7350K vs. Core i5-7400: More GHz or More Cores?

I was legitimately curious about this, glad to see someone do some benchtests. thanks :D

I hope ryzen smacks some sense into intel's pricing scheme. Aint complaining about the $60 g4560 but given the i3 line is nearly irrelevant itd be nice to have a i5 in the $150 range.

We have listings online of Ryzen processors and motherboards and here at Techspot we're still talking about low end Intel processors. in other words, GDC 2017 Capsaicin & Cream Event are not newsworthy, nor upcoming processors and MB from AMD ?

We have listings online of Ryzen processors and motherboards and here at Techspot we're still talking about low end Intel processors. in other words, GDC 2017 Capsaicin & Cream Event are not newsworthy, nor upcoming processors and MB from AMD ?

It's because Ryzen hasn't been released yet (although I've heard March 2nd as a potential release date now). In contrast, these Intel chips are out, or at least available for testing without NDA restrictions.

@Julio Franco The 2 higher priced Pentiums would have a place for someone intending to use the IGP graphics. This was touched on briefly in the introduction.

Arguably, the G-4560 Pentium would need an Nvidia 710 (about $40.00), to equal the graphics performance of the G-4600 & G-4620. With the 4260 selling at a buck over Itel's max retail ($93.00), with a $6.00 tack on for shipping (!), that's the same as the G-4560 & video card would set you back. Should we call that "irony", or "marketing savvy".

But yeah, that G-4560 with a GTX-1050 ti would be quite a starter rig for a newcomer to gaming.

On to the i3 "situation". I have 2 i3 rigs, an i3-530 Clarkdale and an i3-3255 Ivy Bridge. Neither of those chips were intended to be anything other than mainstream to me, nor did I pay anywhere near the current i3 prices for them.

If you wanted to make the comparison between the i3-6100 Skylake and the new Pentium G-4620 for a mainstream IGP rig, the Pentium wins by virtue of the upgraded graphics. (HD-530 to HD-630).

EDIT: I just checked Newegg for the G-4620. It appears Newegg has backed off the 6 buck shipping charge.-

Last edited:

We are addressing a question many readers/viewers have been asking us lately, apologies for that. Meanwhile you can expect our official Ryzen coverage when the embargo lifts.

We are addressing a question many readers/viewers have been asking us lately, apologies for that. Meanwhile you can expect our official Ryzen coverage when the embargo lifts.
does that mean youve already seen some ryzen O.O ahhhhhhhh

I still like the old days when each generation of chips was obvious so you could understand the players and how they performed ........ sigh.....

Excellent article and lays out exactly why the i3's are overpriced. The Pentium's are the new i3's and for that matter look at how the older 2600 holds up against the newer cpu's. We've been paying a premium for years to overclock Intel cpu's so let's hope Ryzen can change that.

Intel lost the plot when it came to pricing CPU's for enthusiasts. The K series should be priced lower than their non-K counterparts as it is the enthusiasts who take the risk of overclocking them for performance. This article just proves the pointlessness of i3 K series when you can get the i5 for roughly the same price and better performance for less power.

Thanks for the review. the i3 series with the current pricing is an example why intel needs a real competitor. Hoping Ryzen would end this. 1 month to go if AMD would deliver.

Still, if you are in the market for cpu, the cheapest i5 and i7 series are the best out there.

The 7350 should $100 or less, but even at that price it doesn't make sense, unless you're a beginning overclocker who wants to "get his feet wet" before diving in and spending the big bucks. Zen should level the playing field and bring Intel's pricing way down...

We have listings online of Ryzen processors and motherboards
Holy crap!! Really?!! Oh wait, that's old news.
No one cares until they actually get the chips in their hands and start testing, we've all seen the specs and paper glossing.

and here at Techspot we're still talking about low end Intel processors?
The i5-7400 is a midrange processor competing well with higher end processors.

. in other words, GDC 2017 Capsaicin & Cream Event are not newsworthy, nor upcoming processors and MB from AMD ?
In other words, you want to see the latest and greatest most amazing news on Techspot, and casual comparison articles (that are also quite normal for any tech site, Anandtech, Toms, etc) are no longer acceptable because...why?
1) The results make you Jelly?
2) Your biased towards AMD and sick of Intel's overwhelming and undeniable domination, quality and performance?
3) Your picking on Steve.

well if you have a RYZEN CPU + MOBO you should bench mark it. ... oh wait.... /facepalm/

Maybe you should ask Steve about getting a sample of Ryzen, they're out for testing, and yes, I don't like Intel for a number of reasons besides the ones you've mentioned.I do not have a sample of Ryzen nor a mobo but I did have a glimpse to a sample of Naples and it's huge.

@ Steve Quick question, in your benchmarks you were running the i5 6600K at the stock clock speed, yes?

Judging by the system TDP, I'm guessing yes, but I'd just like to be sure. Thanks!

This article is about i3 vs i5 .... but to my biggest surprise was how much better 6700K is compared to 6600K in gaming.
Overwatch: 297/255 vs 256/181; (i7 minimum is equal to i5 average)
Gears of war 4: 159/130 vs 127/88 (i7 minimum is higher than i5 average);
Watch dogs 2: 90/74 vs 59/47 (i7 minimum is way over i5 average)

I previously thought i7 was just for rich people with little to no benefit for gamers.

Back