Intel delays 10nm mass production into 2019

Greg S

As first quarter financial results are made available, Intel's CEO has shared some insight on future production plans. Processors built on the 10nm process may be in short supply this year since mass production is being pushed back into 2019.

The cause of the delay is still unknown but it is safe to say that creating transistors made of only a few dozen atoms is difficult. AMD has proven that 12nm mass production is alive and well with its second generation of Ryzen chips from GlobalFoundries but even relatively small die shrinks introduce a number of technical challenges.

AMD will hold the edge in process technology throughout most of this year and is intending to make the jump from 12nm all the way down to 7nm. CEO Dr. Lisa Su revealed that Radeon Instinct, a GPU optimized for machine learning built with a 7nm process, is already being tested in labs.

Even though Intel had a profitable first quarter this year and reasonable growth, the consumer market did little to contribute to growth of earnings in comparison to income fueled by data centers. Sales for consumer notebooks, desktops and modems rose three percent. Intel's data center group grew about 75 percent from cloud computing.

Overall, Intel is still very clearly ahead of AMD in terms of revenue despite the red team posting impressive quarterly figures. Intel is predicted to pull in $67.5 billion while AMD pales in comparison at a mere $6 billion. However, more market segments to handle also means less attention given to specific products and niche areas.

Permalink to story.

So? Intels 14nm parts core for core clock significantly faster, have higher IPC and use less power than AMD's 12nm stuff. die process to me these days appear to be more about profit than performance, the smaller the chips the more they can produce on a wafer.

In my opinion if a die shrink allows AMD to add a GPU in their performance chips then Intel might lose some money as currently no office is going to buy AMD chips for office machines. Most of their chips require an IT dept to provide and support GPU's and the ones that have one built in perform worse than their Intel counterparts (CPU wise) and the graphics being better means nothing if you work in an office. There is vast amounts of money in enterprise and corporate solutions that right now Intel are just helping themselves to.

I have no idea how Intel is structured, but I hope this is because they are devoting time and resources to fix their bug ridden cpu's over a die shrink.
some may cry what! bug-ridden! Well when a i7-6700K goes through 4 microcode updates, an MEI update twice, then the Microsoft patches and god only knows what else thru Windows Update, I'm thinking this is a little much for a flagship consumer desktop cpu.

edit: just checked for Z-170 mobo updates and..........another Intel microcode update by BIOS. Thanks Intel

Last edited by a moderator:
So? Intels 14nm parts core for core clock significantly faster, have higher IPC and use less power than AMD's 12nm stuff. die process to me these days appear to be more about profit than performance, the smaller the chips the more they can produce on a wafer.

In my opinion if a die shrink allows AMD to add a GPU in their performance chips then Intel might lose some money as currently no office is going to buy AMD chips for office machines. Most of their chips require an IT dept to provide and support GPU's and the ones that have one built in perform worse than their Intel counterparts (CPU wise) and the graphics being better means nothing if you work in an office. There is vast amounts of money in enterprise and corporate solutions that right now Intel are just helping themselves to.

If AMD gives everyone Ultrabooks with multi-core and multi-thread CPUs they will sell incredibly well. So over the 2 core Intel ones that we currently have that are unable to do any light multitasking.... if you open excel it is all over.

If AMD gives everyone Ultrabooks with multi-core and multi-thread CPUs they will sell incredibly well. So over the 2 core Intel ones that we currently have that are unable to do any light multitasking.... if you open excel it is all over.
https://www.techradar.com/news/intel-brings-quad-core-processors-to-ultrabook-for-the-first-time

Back