Intel E7500 or Q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

princeton

Hi,
So I have an intel C2D E7500. My friend just got an i7 and doesn't want his old Q6600. What would be faster? I know that sound stupid in the sense 2 cores or 4. But the Q6600 is 65nm and and older architecture compared to the E7500. Would it be good or bad to change my C2D to the quad? I can and will be overclocking.

Most games don't make use of all 4 cores.

Although I'd say its a pretty close call, I'd say it leans towards the Quad at the moment. I'm not very sure about the overclockability of the C2D, but I know the Q6600 is an excellent overclocker.

If you don't really care about saving a few cents off your power bill (as most overclockers are), all the extra mumbo jumbo about 65nm vs 45nm processess and architecture is secondary to the CPU's performance. If a 250nm part will outperform a 22nm part in every way, its the 250nm that will get purchased.

i agree... the Q6600 G0 is a great overclocker, but you won't need 4 cores for gaming. it will help with multitasking though.

I don't think you'd actually notice that much of a difference either way. But there's a slight edge to the E7500 in most things due to its higher native clock speed.

This is an old argument that usually involved the E8400 versus the Q6600. The upshot of that was that the E8400 was better for most gaming uses. The E8400 does have a larger L2 cache than the E7500.

As a sort of rule the C2D CPUs overclock slightly better than the Quad CPUs with respect to percentage. The E8400 was notorious for this, the sweet spot of the E8XXX series for price versus performance.

What is the Q6600 going to cost? Is it worth the time and trouble to optimize that installation? I think that unless you have specific needs and particular software that can utilize all 4 cores that it's pretty much a "lateral transfer", more so than "upward mobility".

The Q6600 might multitask better than the E7500, if you're disposed of having a dozen programs open at once.

In addition to above comments, in the near-future to longer term, more games will support extra-cores (i.e. multicore CPUs will be more useful). And having gone from E6600 to Q8400 recently, I'd say in general you won't notice much difference in normal use, but in intensive / multi-threaded applications the difference will be visible.

Hidden Treasure....Or Litter...You Make the Call...

How would one go about buying it "just a bit" anyway? ...buy one of the four cores?...im just sayin:p
nah, I'd buy 1.5 cores.
now there's a product that AMD doesn't have yet.:D
Wouldn't it be great if they did? Then the hardware hackers would find a way to unlock it to a full dual core. The fanbois would swoon with awe, admiration, and delight. :rolleyes:

Most games don't make use of all 4 cores..
all because games or most games don't use all 4 cores, or 6 cores, or whatever, it really doesn't matter, just having a cpu that has 4 or 6 cores helps " overall " . Hell my pentium d 805 at the moment( even tho upgrading to a e6500 ) plays most games with ease.

Wouldn't it be great if they did? Then the hardware hackers would find a way to unlock it to a full dual core. The fanbois would swoon with awe, admiration, and delight. :rolleyes:

Then they will be like Lancia ...... and you wouldn't want AMD to go where Lancia went. :confused:

Perhaps AMD could codename the chip "Corvair".
Then it may have some 'security' issues?

It would give Ralph something to do other than futile pretend bids for the white house.

*** I noticed Tha general chimed in here...anyone else noticed that 'the thread that wouldn't die' hasn't been hit since April?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back