Intel introduces 'Engineered for Mobile Performance' label for Project Athena laptops

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Forward-looking: On Thursday, Intel unveiled the “Engineered for Mobile Performance” sticker. This tag will be affixed to newer laptops that meet the stringent requirements for Intel’s innovation initiative code-named Project Athena. Next-generation ultra-slims with the mark will wake instantly, provide a full workday of battery life and more.

First introduced at CES 2019, Project Athena is Intel’s way of coaxing laptop manufacturers into innovating designs in six areas. To get the Athena seal, laptops must meet specific “key experience indicators” — instant action, performance and responsiveness, intelligence, battery life, connectivity, and form factor.

Intel says the first product to have the new “visual identifier” will be the Dell XPS 13 2-in-1, which is available now in the United States. It adds that the HP Elitebook 1040 and HP Elitebook 830 have also met the requirements and will feature the seal in marketing materials in “the coming weeks.”

Along with Dell and HP offerings, Acer, Asus, Lenovo, and Samsung are expected to have qualifying laptops during the 2019 holiday season as well.

In addition to having minimum hardware requirements, computers meeting the Athena criteria will have at least nine hours of battery life under “real-world performance conditions.” They should also last at least 16 hours while watching video (locally, not streaming).

Do not be mistaken. Intel’s effort is not just to encourage OEMs to improve laptop performance. The stickers will be a primary marketing tool at least trough 2020.

The effort is geared for the general “on-the-go” consumer who may not know or care about spec sheets and benchmarks. According to Intel, it gives them a quick and easy way to find laptops that are going to perform to a particular set of standards.

“Research suggests that consumers often rely on visual signals and retail displays to inform their buying decisions,” said Intel in its press release. “Testing of the identifier and its messaging showed that it grabbed people’s attention in stores and online and indicates how the laptops are the result of engineering collaborations specifically designed for on-the-go PC experiences.”

Permalink to story.

Mobile performance is NOT hardware nor OS related -- it is very dependent upon the webmasters skill at webpage design:
  • use of viewport
  • minimizing white space
  • minimizing resources accessed via http
  • sending device appropriate graphics
  • using CSS to control the layout

Mobile performance is NOT hardware nor OS related -- it is very dependent upon the webmasters skill at webpage design:
  • use of viewport
  • minimizing white space
  • minimizing resources accessed via http
  • sending device appropriate graphics
  • using CSS to control the layout
Agreed!

Kind of off-topic, but I do, however, note a trend to modern web pages that no matter the device the browser is running on, I.e., PC, tablet, phone, many web sites have gone to a scrolling design which, to me, is the typical design for phones or tablets.

I am a desktop application designer so my understanding may be limited, however, AFAIK, a web site designer is able to determine the type of device and change the page design dynamically so that, in theory, it is best on the particular device viewing the web site. Honestly, I hate that scrolling design. I don't want to scroll through an entire page of things I do not care about to get to something I do care about. The facade for most we sites used to include links at the top so that pertinent information could be quickly found. Now, it seems I have to scroll through everything on a growing number of sites.

Not, of course, that in this day and age end user device hardware really has much to do with how well a web site performs.

Will AMD-based laptops also be able to get "Mobile Performance" badge? My HP 845 G5 also wakes up very quickly :)

Did I miss something. Why suggest mobile performance is reliant on online activity? I'm going to have to disagree with you. From my perspective, "Mobile performance IS hardware and OS related". If it fails there. I wouldn't want it for anything, much less online.

Did I miss something. Why suggest mobile performance is reliant on online activity? I'm going to have to disagree with you. From my perspective, "Mobile performance IS hardware and OS related". If it fails there. I wouldn't want it for anything, much less online.
If you mean performance of native apps on mobile devices, then I would agree

Did I miss something. Why suggest mobile performance is reliant on online activity?
not likely :) MOBILE does have several contexts and the users point of view changes everything. My cellphone is still a mobile phone to me -- the sole apps which I use regularly are GPS Maps & Messages. My tablet however does get use periodically for web research and that's the point of reference for my comment. Then there are some I am sure will be gaming on mobile devices and that's a whole other set of issues.

Agree to this. And this is the fact. Surprised to read that performance is webmaster or webpage design dependent. If webmasters do that, then they are a very poorly optimizing webmasters.

Don't know if you have a background in web development but by looking at the UA string, the webmaster can change the size of data returned unique to each device {desktop, tablet, cellphone), reduce graphic sizes as well to have less impact on the users data plan and thus increase download performance. SEO is a scam

I understand where you are coming from with Webmaster Development. But from a mobile perspective. I find it odd that someone would suggest that means always connected. Perhaps I'm behind times and times have now changed.

I understand where you are coming from with Webmaster Development. But from a mobile perspective. I find it odd that someone would suggest that means always connected. Perhaps I'm behind times and times have now changed.
Hmm; don't think I said/implied that and certainly web access is not always connected.

Back