Intel pentium d

Status
Not open for further replies.

i was wondering if i get a intel pentium d do i need a good video card as well...im building a new comp for my brother...

this is what i have right now.....WELL THE subject is wrong since im not sure about the pentium d since it has heat issues... but someone answer my questions?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813130041
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103537
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104904

i was also wondering the mobo is micro atx 24 pin, does it matter if i use a atx case? not a micro one? and a 20 pin?

I wouldn't recommend putting a micro ATX board into a (standered) ATX case.

Also the onboard graphics (6100) are not ment for gammming, if you're looking for gamming look into a $150+ plus graphic card

So, you need a different motherboard for you're case, a graphic card, and some ram.

dont really care for the gaming because its for my bro, just itunes, internet, hp photo stuff....

so im thinking about:

amd athlon 64 socket 939
some motherboard with onboard video
a microatx case with or without power supply. 24 pin since mobo is a 24 pin
some ram
dvd rom or writer which is better?

i already have some hard drives, monitor...

is MSI a good mobo? or should i get a ASUS with onboard video, also on certain power supplys they say amd listed what does that mean?

0009 said:
i was also wondering the mobo is micro atx 24 pin, does it matter if i use a atx case? not a micro one? and a 20 pin?

You may need to get an adapter 20pin-24pin. They a fairly cheap.

update: so im thinking about this rig

Asus A8N-VM microATX
AMD Venice 3000+ 939
Rosewill R-5059 300watt
Patriot Signature Series 1GB (2 x 512MB)
SONY DVD+-RW
WD 80gb HD

The micro atx board might not work rite with the atx case. onboard motherboards are kind of price, if not that kind of mobo.

Any member that knows please correct me and tell me and tell him other wise in about the micro atx board.

Micro ATX should work in an ATX case, it's the other way around that wouldn't work (ATX motherboard in an mini ATX case). & to best use that CPU, I would recommend getting two 512mb DIMMs instead of one 1GB as you'll be able to use the dual-channel memory controller with two modules (which brings a nice performance increase).

also i was wondering if i could use a 20 pin power supply on a 24 pin motherboard? and how do you use an adapter? thanks again guys.

AMD without a doubt

Hey 0009, the dual core Pentium D is good processor but for the same amount of dough you could buy and AMD 64X2 (64 bit dual core) and get much more performance...just a thought. By the way, you can use a Micro ATX mobo in a standard ATX case. Check to see if you need a 20 to 24 pin adapter for your power supply and that it is 400w or better. Good advice on the memory from Didou above.

Where do i find the latest bios for ASUS A8N-VM CSM Micro ATX AMD Motherboard?? i didnt seem to find it on the asus website

So this is what i have.

Asus A8N-VM microATX
AMD Venice 3000+ 939
Rosewill R-5059 300watt
Patriot Signature Series 1GB (2 x 512MB)
SONY DVD+-RW
WD 80gb HD

if your brother is going to be using his pc mainly for photo editing, you dont need to invest in the $800 PD, another great processor would be the AMD Athlon 64, since it already supports 32bit as well as 64bit, since over the next few years all software will switch to 64bit, 32bit pcs wont be supported ne more another processor if you need to save some money would be the AMD Sempron which retails for $125.00 it is also 64bit supporting 60,000 spplications. I use a Sempron 1.8 GHZ for my HP photo editing and it works great, but you'll need at least 512MB(more=better) b/c AMD comsumes some RAM for its HyperTransport technology, The sempron is Quiet, Cool, and 64bit enabled

For the Asus BIOS you were asking about, click here.

Put in your product info and click on the BIOS tab to find your BIOS. Also click on the far left "How to Upgrade Your BIOS" and follow the instructions.

According to your motherboard manual, you can use a 20 pin power supply with the 24 pin motherboard but heed the minimum power supply warning. If you choose to buy an adapter, it just fits in between the power supply connector and the motherboard connector. It only goes one way. You should have no problem figuring it out.

My MSI motherboard has a 24 pin connector but will accept a 20 pin power supply just like yours. I, however, used an adapter anyway.

AMDIsTheBest010 said:
but you'll need at least 512MB(more=better) b/c AMD comsumes some RAM for its HyperTransport technology
Where have you heard/read that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back