Intel Pentium Dual Core or AMD Turion 64 X2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TL93

Intel Pentium Dual Core or AMD Turion 64 X2

As you can tell, i'm asking about which mobile processor is better.

I know that Core 2 Duo is better than both of them FTW but we don't wanna pay that much for a laptop.

So which one would be better all round?

Its not gonna be much of a gaming computer, more multimedia though like videos and other things.

So please, HELP us!

Thanks,
Tim

core duo CPUs are WITHOUT x64 architecture. so you can't install WIndows x64 OS. core2duo has x64 instructions. remember this when you want to install 4gb of ram and want to use it fully. in gaming machines the main thing is videocard(recommended nvidia geforce go 8600gt).

Anyways, we went with AMD Turion 64 x2 instead.

Now to deal with my Wireless Router issue =(

Thanks,
Tim

Hey Tim,

I really have no idea where lamo was going with his comments, but anyway...

You are right about the Core 2 Duo being faster, but if you want to spend less, those are your two choices and the Turion X2 that you finally bought is just about as fast as the Pentium dual core. Benchmarks out there will show little differences here and there depending on the application but in real life usage, you won't notice a thing.

Even when taking power consumption into consideration, those come really close, so either way you wouldn't have gone wrong.

That is indeed correct. The Pentium Dual Core TL93 referred to however is not Core Duo, and depending on the model it may support x64.

Julio - I'm just confused about the whole Core Duo thing and the Pentium Dual Core thing!

Some even have matching numbers and processor codenames like yoham.

Intel's mobile processors list is way messier compared to the desktop CPU one. Just look at the codenames! Yonah, Merom, Merom-2M, Penryn, Penryn-3M...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back