Intel plans overclocker-friendly Clarkdale, Lynnfield CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Intel and AMD have been selling overclocker-friendly processors with unlocked multipliers for quite some time now. Initially this option was reserved for expensive chips competing in the upper-tier of the market. However, with AMD's inability to deliver anything that can match Intel's most powerful offerings, the company has been experimenting with more affordable Black Edition processors to stay competitive in the low to mid end.

AMD presently has several quad-core Black Edition processors priced from $156 to $186, as well as a similarly unlocked dual-core Phenom II X2 going for as little as $120 -- even less if you get the OEM versions. Now it looks like Intel might follow its smaller rival with a Clarkdale or Lynnfield processor featuring an unlocked multiplier and lower pricing than their current Extreme Edition offerings.

Details are a little scarce for now, but in an interview with Tweakers.net, Steve Peterson, Intel's head of marketing for the chipset division said they were considering the possibility. He specifically mentioned they would be designed for the LGA1156 form-factor and will belong to their Lynnfield and Clarkdale families of Core I-branded chips. Unfortunately, not much else was revealed so there's no word on a timeframe.

Permalink to story.

I'm interested in seeing how the ease of overclocking matches that of the Black Editions. Will Intel release a program like AMD's "Overdrive"?

They have my attention. Also its nice to see that Intel isn't ignoring the vast majority of us now. Not everyone can drop $300+ on just a CPU.

hello...

humm, overclocking can be dangerous in wrong hands LOL. would like to check it out when will be confirmed, i'm going back to intel after 6 - 7 years of fidelity to an AMD system.

cheers!

This doesn't make sense to me unless they are concerned about AMD gaining market share at the low-mid price point. Which based on a lot of visitors to this site, may be a valid concern. I will be curious to see how far they can over clock, or whether it will really make a difference in the overclock potential.

no LGA 775 support? then this idea is useless, buy the new LGA1156 motherboard ( soon to be discontinued) the ddr3 memory ( with minimal gains) the LGA1156 cpu cooler, etc, might as well buy that core 7 garbage and get over with it. (no need to btw, my retro 3.2ghz E6600 is all i need)

I'd like to see what Intel is gonna come up with, anyone know where I can find a AMD Phenom II X3 720 in stock newegg, tigerdirect & ZipZoomfly all out! This is one of the best overclocker-friendly processors from AMD hence it not being in stock on some of the best places to shop for PC hardware. Its a good thing Intel started following AMD.

LGA 1156 mobos are still about twice as expensive as AM3 ones... any small gains from the unlocked multiplier chips won't push their performance/price ratio any higher.

How long has it taken Intel to pay attention to AMD consumer base? Users like to have control even if it means burning up some hardware.If does not have 775 pin support then they still don't get it.

I thought you could already overclock the i3 and i5 chips.

Is there that much of an advantage in changing the multiplier vs the frequency?

Personaly, i'v been buying both intel & AMD, just depending on what it is going to be used for... Intel would be for Biz stuff, and AMD for gameing... i think, both CO. are doing a great job at advanceing in the Technology, of mhz, and cores, and enengy saveing... (i'm not a type of person that buys asap, when cpu comes out, i check out all specs, and price and wait for all the bugs to be worked out...) so its good that Intel is working on overclocking features, because everybody wants different options... so thats good for the consumer... & the CO. Win-Win situation...

Cool, good work by intel. Reaching out to the enthusiasts without making them drop insane ammounts of cash on a CPU just to get an unlocked multiplier.

now its time to learn how to overclock. but I don't think I can do that coz if I fried my peripheral I can't offered another....limitation of budget ya.

anyway why we need to overclock?

Extremely dangerous news for AMD's Black Edition line-up, AMD better release something new (will the X6's actually kill or good just for show?) or do something crazy because these the new AM3's are barely hanging on to the 1156's in performance, though price is a big difference.

Intel should reduce CPU prices and make them more compatibile with older motherboards and not force consumers buy new motherboards with every CPU they put on market.For vast majority no need overclocking ! but if you are an fanatic gamer go ahead on your own risc!

Sounds interesting but I will wait for the official announcement and some testing before I buy into it. "they were considering the possibility" sounds like they're trying to get people to wait on buying a CPU but it may or may not happen.

This shows that competition is always good for customers. Let's hope that this is true and that it will actually see the light of day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back