Intel reportedly launching Haswell-E and X99 chipset on August 29th

Scorpus

Staff member

According to a recent report, Intel will launch their enthusiast Haswell-E processors alongside the new X99 chipset on August 29th. Rather than just a paper launch, Haswell-E CPUs and motherboards using the X99 chipset, as well as DDR4 RAM for the platform, should all be available to buy on the day.

At this stage it looks like Intel will launch three CPUs as part of the Haswell-E line. The flagship part will reportedly be the Intel Core i7-5960X, featuring eight cores and 16 threads, a clock speed of 3.0 GHz and 20 MB of L3 cache. The SKU is expected to cost more than $1,000.

For a more modest price, you'll be able to get the Core i7-5930K, which comes with six cores and 12 threads, a clock speed of 3.5 GHz, and 15 MB of L3 cache. It'll be available for upwards of $500, still commanding a considerable premium over Intel's standard Haswell chips.

The final part is expected to be the Core i7-5820K, with six cores. Other specifications for this chip haven't been revealed (we're possibly looking at a clock speed of 3.3 GHz and 15 MB of L3 cache), but it's expected to cost between $350 and $450.

Haswell-E CPUs are supported on Intel's X99 platform, which is the first (on a consumer level) to support DDR4 memory. We saw some X99 motherboards on the Computex show floor in June, including features such as USB 3.1, SATA Express and a large number of PCIe channels.

Permalink to story.

That's kinda messed up only the highest $1000 plus gets the eight core. There's already six core chips out so no need in releasing more for probably only modest gains. I'm willing to bet that the 4790k will still chew these up in anything that doesn't use more than four cores. There's not to many programs and definitely not games that can take advantage of more than four cores.

That's kinda messed up only the highest $1000 plus gets the eight core. There's already six core chips out so no need in releasing more for probably only modest gains. I'm willing to bet that the 4790k will still chew these up in anything that doesn't use more than four cores. There's not to many programs and definitely not games that can take advantage of more than four cores.

What's so messed up about it.

Intel has always done this with the consumer chips and EE models.

And how is it going to chew anything up when they are both the same generation?

A 6 core Haswell E chip should be just as fast as a 4 core haswell chip when only using 4 threads.

You are not comparing different generations here.

As for programs and games maybe the ones you use. But I use plenty of software that benefits from more cores its the reason I'm on a i7 970 6 core Gulftown chip. As for games I can already think of two that uses more than four cores both Battlefield 3 and 4 benefit from more cores.

Cannot wait, ill be purchasing some Ram, a board, and the 5930k that day so long as one of the boards I want is available at that time. Hoping the board I really want is available but its not been announced so its unlikely.

Think Skiddy could upgrade to an Amstrad Mega PC 386SX at least, no need for emulators when you have a built in Megadrive. And its half console, half PC so you can stand tall knowing you never went full retard! :)

Actually if you look at a lot of the benchmarks the core i7 3770k which I have and the 4770k when compared to the six core counterparts even when they are clocked at the same speeds the 4 core chips usually beat out the 6 core processor. Only in programs that can take advantage of 6 core can they excel in. Gaming the 4 cores usually always tie or be a frame or 2 ahead of the six core. Not really a difference but look at the price difference

Maybe it's time for me to put back together an old 486DX and play some real games...
Absolutely. I believe it can run Crysis like a dream.
Seriously though, While X99 sounds quite nice, it's just far too expensive & overkill to be used mainly as a gaming platform although some will try to convince us, and succeed in convincing themselves otherwise.

Actually if you look at a lot of the benchmarks the core i7 3770k which I have and the 4770k when compared to the six core counterparts even when they are clocked at the same speeds the 4 core chips usually beat out the 6 core processor. Only in programs that can take advantage of 6 core can they excel in. Gaming the 4 cores usually always tie or be a frame or 2 ahead of the six core. Not really a difference but look at the price difference

Ummm.... what?
i7's rule the gaming charts besides a few rare examples, and always have.
The 3960X beats the 3770k in games, sometimes by a significant margin.
Games are based off older engines and take a few years to catch up.

HT was never an issue it just didn't help, now it helps.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

We have seen a small handful of titles benefit from Hyper-Threaded Core i7 processors, though. Because we believe this is a trend that will continue as developers optimize their software, we're including the Core i7-4770K as an honorable mention, now selling for $340. In a vast majority of games, the Core i7 won't demonstrate much advantage over the Core i5. But if you're a serious enthusiast who wants some future-proofing and values highly-threaded application performance, this processor may be worth the extra money .

Last edited:

There is no way the 4 core chips will beat out the 6 cores chips of the same generation, on the same board and same ram modules.

Show me some benchmarks of SB vs SB--E and Ivy vs Ivy-E where that is the case.

There is no way the 4 core chips will beat out the 6 cores chips of the same generation, on the same board and same ram modules.

I see a lot of you are mistaken don't let Intel fool y'all here check this out

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...evils-canyon-i7-4790k-performance-review.html

This will show you the the new 4970k a four cour processor beats the 4960x six core in most benchmarks and definitely games and also real world programs. The only ones the 6 cores usually win at is programs that's just test benchmarks and are able to use six cores and it's not by a big margin. There's really no real world programs that use six core definitely not games. The four cores have always won and I'm a computer enthusiasts so I been following these things. This has been the case from the 2700k to the 3770k and the 4770k and etc. It's basically like having four engines going 40mph vs 6 engines going 30mph. Only when the program can use the 6 engines will it matter. But hey check it out for yourself

It will be interesting to see benchmarks on this. I wonder if there will be an sku similar to the i7-3820.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...evils-canyon-i7-4790k-performance-review.html

This will show you the the new 4970k a four cour processor beats the 4960x six core in most benchmarks and definitely games and also real world programs. The only ones the 6 cores usually win at is programs that's just test benchmarks and are able to use six cores and it's not by a big margin. There's really no real world programs that use six core definitely not games. The four cores have always won and I'm a computer enthusiasts so I been following these things. This has been the case from the 2700k to the 3770k and the 4770k and etc. It's basically like having four engines going 40mph vs 6 engines going 30mph. Only when the program can use the 6 engines will it matter. But hey check it out for yourself

Wow dude can you not read I said in the same generation.
Haswell vs IVY-E in your example!!!
When Haswell E is out redo your comparison at the same clock speed and lets see the results!

=D

Wow dude can you not read I said in the same generation.
Haswell vs IVY-E in your example!!!
When Haswell E is out redo your comparison at the same clock speed and lets see the results!

=D

What difference does it make. A 6 core is a 6 core. This is a recent 6 core processor from not even a year ago I believe and you telling me just because it doesn't carry the same name it's not a fair comparison? Maybe if the 6 core was a few years old such as the 980x of the x58 then you might have a point but these are both new processors. That's like saying If I buy the newest 6 core Intel will make a four core in the next few months after at more than half the price cheaper that will beat my 6core? That certainly wouldn't make me feel good as a buyer spending 600 plus on a new processor.

What's so messed up about it.

Intel has always done this with the consumer chips and EE models.

And how is it going to chew anything up when they are both the same generation?

A 6 core Haswell E chip should be just as fast as a 4 core haswell chip when only using 4 threads.

You are not comparing different generations here.

As for programs and games maybe the ones you use. But I use plenty of software that benefits from more cores its the reason I'm on a i7 970 6 core Gulftown chip. As for games I can already think of two that uses more than four cores both Battlefield 3 and 4 benefit from more cores.[/quote]

As does anything based on CryEngine. Which granted, isn't much right now. Still, games are heading in the direction of taking advantage of more cores/hyperthreading.

What difference does it make. A 6 core is a 6 core. This is a recent 6 core processor from not even a year ago I believe and you telling me just because it doesn't carry the same name it's not a fair comparison? Maybe if the 6 core was a few years old such as the 980x of the x58 then you might have a point but these are both new processors. That's like saying If I buy the newest 6 core Intel will make a four core in the next few months after at more than half the price cheaper that will beat my 6core? That certainly wouldn't make me feel good as a buyer spending 600 plus on a new processor.

It makes a difference when that was my point.

If you need to change the argument to validate your post then do so but my point stands!

Intel and AMD aren't concerned with your feelings they are out for profit. You as the consumer needs to do your research so you don't end up buying a cpu at the end of its life cycle. If you follow this industry and intels tick tock roadmap you can map out your purchases. Nobody is forcing you to buy these processors so if you make a bad choice there isn't anyone to blame but yourself really.

It makes a difference when that was my point.

If you need to change the argument to validate your post then do so but my point stands!

Intel and AMD aren't concerned with your feelings they are out for profit. You as the consumer needs to do your research so you don't end up buying a cpu at the end of its life cycle. If you follow this industry and intels tick tock roadmap you can map out your purchases. Nobody is forcing you to buy these processors so if you make a bad choice there isn't anyone to blame but yourself really.

I don't know what your point was but I know mines was just simply highlighting the fact that the 6 core processors haven't been necessarily superior but in fact inferior in quite a few things when compared to the recent four core counterparts. But either way wether you choose the 6 core or the high end four core your getting one hell of a processor that is way above average and will chew any normal task up. My first argument was that it sucked that only the $1000 plus processor was going to be the 8 core when thats where any real gain is gonna come. The other 6 core parts if they follow in the path of the others then there's not much gain especially if you already have a 6 core. But will have to see how this 8 core turns out to be. But I also know like you said they are out for profit and am not tryna tell anyone to what to spend there money on if they get it then fine still a great processor. But as of right now the core i7 4970k a four core processor is king with the exception of a few non real world benchmarks.

A 4960x is IVY-E. Not Haswell-E. Not the comparison talked about. 4790 is Haswell...

Edit: ah just read Lions post :)

A 4960x is IVY-E. Not Haswell-E. Not the comparison talked about. 4790 is Haswell...

Edit: ah just read Lions post :)

I stopped responding to that guest because he was just ignoring what I wrote.

"I don't know what your point was"

Then goes on to talking about cross generational benchmarks to try and prove his point.

lmao then he goes on to say there are no real world computer programs that use six cores.

At that point I just ignored the rest now I understand why all the members just ignore these guest post.

Launches 2 days before my birthday, think I can get my friends to buy one part each lol? im thinking to involve the rich cousins this year

Back