Intel unveils new Ultra Low Voltage processor range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Intel is expanding its processor family today with a new range of ULV (Ultra-Low Voltage) chips featuring the same 32nm design as their normal voltage siblings. The new parts are targeted at 10-13" thin-and-light notebooks, and according to Intel, they bring a 15% reduction in power consumption while still offering features like Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost.

Despite its smaller size and lower power consumption, the new chips promise up to 32% better performance than the current generation of ultra-low voltage processors. At the bottom of the line, there will be a 1GHz Celeron U3400 and 1.2GHz Pentium U5400. Both have a total power draw of only 17 watts, and that's including the Intel GMA HD graphics chip which is built onto the same package as the CPU. Intel is also expected to launch new ULV Core I-series chips, including the 1.2GHz Core i3 330UM, i5 430UM and i5 540UM, as well as the 1.33GHz i7 660UM.

The company says that more than 40 designs are expected from computer makers such as Acer, Asus, Lenovo and MSI, and will be offered at a variety of price points beginning in June.

Permalink to story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back