Intel video drivers fail

Doug8765

Hi -
Windows 7
Hewlett Packard Pavilion p6240f computer

During the past few weeks I've had 3 instances occur where the screen goes black but the computer still seems to be working. The Action Center says I've had video failure, but returns an error when I ask for a solution. Now the Action Center says I've got no messages, but it had one before I clicked on it.

Any suggestion?

Doug

Hey Doug,
go to C:\windows\minidump. Minidump files have a .dmp extension. Select all the .dmp files. Right-click sending them to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload that folder as a file here

Hi Tmagic650 -
That directory, c:\Windows\Minidump, is empty. I cleanup my computer pretty often, so that may be why. However, the video fail today was after the cleanup I did this morning.

FWIW, I attach a picture of the blank minidump directory.

Thank you for getting involved. I keep this dialogue up all the time so that I can get to the bottom of this problem.

Doug

Hey Doug,
go to C:\windows\minidump. Minidump files have a .dmp extension. Select all the .dmp files. Right-click sending them to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload that folder as a file here

Attachments

• Windows Minidump empty 01Oct2013.png
    Windows Minidump empty 01Oct2013.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Windows Minidump empty 01Oct2013.png
    Windows Minidump empty 01Oct2013.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 1
Looking at the HP specs you have on-board graphics. Have you applied all the Windows Updates, including all the optional ones. You may have to run Windows Update until no more updates are found if you can

Hi Tmagic650 -
The only two Windows Updates were both about the Bing bar and were optional. I applied them.

So I have on-board graphics. What does that mean?

Again, thanks for following up.

Doug

You generally have more graphics capability with a separate graphics card. In short you can upgrade the card or replace it when the hardware fails. Onboard graphics means you have a graphics chip built into the motherboard. If that fails your computer is scrap unless you buy a new motherboard.

Hi -
So I cannot buy a separate graphics card?

Doug

You generally have more graphics capability with a separate graphics card. In short you can upgrade the card or replace it when the hardware fails. Onboard graphics means you have a graphics chip built into the motherboard. If that fails your computer is scrap unless you buy a new motherboard.

"If that fails your computer is scrap unless you buy a new motherboard"... Not necessarily Doug. You should be able to buy a simple low-cost PCIe video card. The bios might automatically pick up the PCIe card, but you might have to select the video choice manually

Hi Tmagic650 -
Can you provide any guidance on what to buy? I have a son who always likes me to buy from newegg, but I'm not sure of what to buy.

It's been a super computer.

Doug

"If that fails your computer is scrap unless you buy a new motherboard"... Not necessarily Doug. You should be able to buy a simple low-cost PCIe video card. The bios might automatically pick up the PCIe card, but you might have to select the video choice manually

Hi Tmagic650 -
If video is my problem then I have that solution, but what if there's a different source of the problem?

I just had another fail. I noticed that the speakers quit the broadcast I had running and the fan stopped. The fan doesn't run all the time, but this time it stopped the instant the fail occurred.

How can I assure that the problem is video graphics? I don't get any notice, but it seems to be occurring more frequently.

Doug

Hi Tmagic650 -
I've been working using my computer and it occurs to me that I don't have any method yet for figuring out whether my power supply is the problem or that the graphics chip is the problem.

What would be something I could do in advance that would provide some guidance on what caused the failure? For the next time that the failure occurs.

Doug

So the computer is working fine and you haven't replaced the video card or upgraded the power supply?

Hi Tmagic650 -
Now I'm getting some information from the Action Center.
The message (which was available when I looked at it, but is not available anymore) said that my video card had stopped working 6 times. I was able to copy this message:
"Your graphics driver has stopped working properly.​
At this time, we don't know the exact cause of this problem. Hewlett-Packard is interested in gathering additional feedback."​

I was also able to get some more concrete information from the Action Center. That's in the two attachments.
  • One attachment is fromControl Panel\System and Security\Action Center\Check For Solutions.
  • The other attachment is the first instance on that Check for Solutions page, its Details page at Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center\Problem Details
Does this tell you anything useful?

I have changed my Excel files to save to Skydrive - the Microsoft cloud storage.

Doug

Attachments

• Action Center Problem Details, first one 18Oct2013.png
    Action Center Problem Details, first one 18Oct2013.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Action Center problems 18Oct2013.png
    Action Center problems 18Oct2013.png
    88 KB · Views: 2
Hi -
No and yes. I have experienced another fail (Monday of this past week) but have not replaced either/or the video card or the power supply.

I am trying to understand better what the source is of the problem so that I can be certain of any solution. I've taken to using Skydrive for key files and to reduce demand on the computer. Although I don't think it makes any difference I've uninstalled applications that I don't use.

Doug

One more time...

You have on-board video that is causing the errors. You should buy a PCIe video card like we already discussed and try it before posting any more Action Center errors

Hi Tmagic650 -
Will do. Thanks for all the help.

So as far as you can tell, the video is the likely source and the power supply is not?

Doug

Back