Intel's budget-conscious 40GB X25-V SSD appears online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

It seems Intel is moving ahead with plans to complement its mainstream X25-M solid-state drives with a more affordable V (value) series. Due early next year, the X25-V lineup will use MLC NAND flash memory, have TRIM support, and should handsomely discount Intel's pricey ($300 80GB and $500 160GB) second-generation X25-M SSDs.

Previous information indicated the 40GB X25-V would target a $120 price point, and some premature online retailer listings have more or less confirmed this. An 80GB X25-V is also reportedly on the table, and Intel's upcoming 20-something-nanometer fabrication process should help with reducing costs, but whether or not the X25-V drives will launch with this technology remains to be seen.

Fudzilla reports that Intel's X25-M and X25-E drives will continue to be produced, and the former may scale all the way up to 600GB -- imagine the price on that drive. While Intel has not officially confirmed most of these nuggets, the 40GB X25-V's retail listing is enough evidence for us. Hopefully CES will reveal all.

Permalink to story.

Nice! When such a monopolistic company like Intel cuts their prices to affordable levels, you know the technology is about to go mainstream. Let's hope there aren't any performance bugs or anything like that though.

I've once read that anything under 120 GB doesn't have a good lifespan since the read/writes in an MLC SSD will wear a drive out after 10,000 writes. And a small disk like this doesn't allow a good wear leveling algorithm enough space to share the wear.

@slh28: Intel's whole business model follows Moore's law from which cascading lower prices follow as a law of nature. Monopolistic or not, anyone who cares to follow this industry can imply that Intel has hurt consumers by raising prices.

i just want to know what performance this drive will have. From what i've seen small SSD's aren't that fast when it come to read/write speeds..

Puiu said:
i just want to know what performance this drive will have. From what i've seen small SSD's aren't that fast when it come to read/write speeds..

Yeah, it all depends on the controller and how many raid channels of flash it uses (efficiently). It would be logical to assume that the smaller drives will have less channels available and that they will use a less expensive (and less powerful) controller as well.

Intel already has a budget 40GB SSD on the market, it's called the Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV125-S2BD... (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139079)

Or Kingston "Boot Drive"..

if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.
then there's a good chance that it's a duck.

give your old trusty search engine a go and you'll see that the kingston 40gb-v is a intel x25-v

who's the KH now.

if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.
then there's a good chance that it's a duck.

give your old trusty search engine a go and you'll see that the kingston 40gb-v is a intel x25-v

who's the KH now.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1111/3/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back