Intel's latest Xeon W-3175X is a 28-core, 56-thread unlocked processor

Polycount

Staff

AMD might be the CPU community's new darling, but Intel is fighting back. The company announced this week the official launch of its Xeon W-3175X processor, which is designed for high-intensity workloads. The W-3175X is Intel's first unlocked 28-core processor with 56 threads, which may bring it more in line with the performance of AMD's Threadripper processors. However, despite similar specifications to its competitor's devices, Intel's 3175X couldn't be further away from Threadripper chips in terms of price: the 3175X will run you about $3,000.

Though that cost is pretty high, Intel is undoubtedly hoping the chip's specs will make up for the investment. Based on the company's 14nm Skylake architecture, the 3175X boasts a base clock speed of 3.1GHz (boostable to 4.3GHz), a TDP of 255W, as well as support for up to 68 PCIe lanes and up to 512GB of DDR4, 2666MHz RAM.

Intel also promises other improvements, claiming that the 3175X has "hardware-enhanced security, identity protection, and remote manageability."

Unfortunately, unless you want to run the CPU naked -- which is obviously a very bad idea -- you're going to need a cooler for it, and one isn't included in the box. As such, you'll have to shell out hundreds of additional dollars for a compatible aftermarket option; Intel recommends Asetek's $400 690LX-PN AIO liquid cooler.

If you're feeling particularly crazy, you might be interested to hear that (despite its high price tag) Intel's latest workstation chip has already been de-lidded - and by the same man who showed us how he cleans his motherboards in the dishwasher, der8aeur.

So, the main question on your mind is probably one of value: is the W-3175X worth the money?

Reviews from outlets like Anandtech do show that the 3175X is putting out better performance numbers than AMD's top-tier alternative (the 32-core Threadripper 2990WX) across several tests, but that boost comes at a hefty premium.

If you are a professional or a business owner who might get value out of the extra power the 3175X offers, you can snag it from system integrators that "develop purpose-built desktop workstations," according to Intel.

Permalink to story.

Horrible temps, horrible power consumption, horrendous motherboard price, barely any advantages over AVX.

This system cost easily 2-3 times the amount for a TR 2990WX system.

As of now, Windows is the bottleneck for such systems. Microsoft needs to move their butt and correct the situation. Little news for them, these systems are going to be more and more common in the near future.

Horrible temps, horrible power consumption, horrendous motherboard price, barely any advantages over AVX.

As of now, Windows is the bottleneck for such systems. Microsoft needs to move their butt and correct the situation. Little news for them, these systems are going to be more and more common in the near future.

You need a hug?

Both are very good points.

Um...no...just flat out no.

We're barely reaching a point where high-end gaming systems need to have 16GB of RAM in them (which is well below the typical 32-64GB RAM limitation you find on motherboards, let alone the 192GB limit for Windows 10 Home Edition) -- & note that the former is a limitation created by motherboard OEMs, not Microsoft, while the latter is well beyond what 99.99999% of gamers out there will need (possibly in our lifetimes).

But even then, all they have to do is get Windows 10 Professional (2TB RAM limit), & they'll be on equal RAM footing with Windows 10 Enterprise...which is what medium- & large-sized businesses (I.e. your typical corporate video editing & creation company, or user of large-scale server systems) is going to use.. Again, there's no failure on Microsoft's part anywhere in there, & any blame (if it even existed) can be laid squarely on the OEMs that make the motherboards & servers.

...while the latter is well beyond what 99.99999% of gamers out there will need (possibly in our lifetimes).

Yeah... I am not sure about that statement... Depending on how old you are, you never know what leaps are around the corner. I mean, My first PC had a ~10GB (if I recall correctly) and to think that today we are at 100x the size of that for like 25$/TB... Just saying....

If I buy a bundle deal of NVIDIA & INTEL hardware will they throw in a Free car? Or maybe an NVIDIA leather jacket signed by the CEO? ;-)

Last edited:
How stupid is this, it's a showcase CPU, why would I give $3000 to this and gain less than %10 performance over an 2990wx, where I can get two 2990wx or dual socket EPYC with more money and double my output and ram. Surely if you need such CPUs you can utilize openMP or similar tools for maximum output

Back